I was wondering why this statement is not in the past tense.?

A summary of a PBS.org POV Feature Film "Whose Streets?" started with

"When unarmed teenager Michael Brown is killed by police and left lying in the street for hours, it marks a breaking point for the residents of St. Louis. ..."

Just wondering why its not in the past tense since this statement is describing something that happened in the past.

• Andrew
    Favorite Answer

It's in the present tense because it gives the description a sense of urgency that would be lost if it were presented in the past tense. It's actually pretty standard for the blurbs of books and films to be in the present tense. It has to do with the immediacy of what's being described. People are more likely to invest themselves in something if they're led to believe that it's happening now, so it's really more of a an advertising shtick and a marketing ploy than anything else.

All loglines are written in present tense to convey a sense that the story is relevant.

Source(s): A university course called "Writing for the Screen".

They're probably trying to tell the story as though they are taking you back in time to when the events occurred. I agree that it is a bit weird. Past tense would work better, in my opinion.

I think you need to rename yourself. "Curious Mind" is a bit too optimistic.

• Curious mind5 months agoReport

I think you need to rename yourself to Madam Caustic. You are too vague.