If someone overstays a Visa, and then books a flight back to their home country- what happens?

I am not planning this haha, Its pure curiosity. I am aware it is different for different countries- I’m more thinking of the safer countries like America, or Canada

Some countries will be glad to see you go, and bar you from reentry for your visa violation.

Some countries throw you in prison until you pay fines & your deportation costs - and bar you from reentry for your visa violation. Your consulate can help you transfer funds from your accounts in your country to pay for everything, or contact relatives to send the money to pay up, but you absolutely will pay in full.

They can leave - but they can expect to be denied re-entry to that country for the rest of their lives

• Maxi

You get on the flight and go home, however as you overstayed you will not be traveling back to those countries again and many other countries will not allow you entry either

• james

You get stopped before entering the boarding area. If over 90 days to leave you need long form to leave the Country. If short term most visas are 30 days with 2 30 day extends. So if just a few days you may just pay a small fine there for not staying current. They don't like to make tourist mad & not return. If long stay over. You need go to immigration pay to have all paper work brought up current, a back ground check to see if any fines or wants are out on you. So plan on 3 day's normal. A fine for overstay is normal. You can be barred from ever returning to that Country. So depends on Country. I am outside the U.S. for 9 months or more a year. I have resident status were I live here. So to return to the U.S. I need go to immigration. Do a long form. to leave. Takes most of the day. Show my tickets to the U.S. to them & passport. Have a background check done. No wants out on me. So plan all day at immigration. Most times go of a morning for 2 to 3 hours. Leave go shopping or what ever return of a afternoon for the papers. But they know the long termers so less hassle. Go to ticket counter at airport. Check luggage in. Go to immigration box before boarding area. Show them long form. Get passport stamped there. Told see you when you return sir. Go to bording area for plane. If you overstay & don't have the exit stamp you will not leave. Then you need go to immigration & spend 3 days & pay a fine. + cost. But as said most Countries will over look a few days & let you leave. But long term overstay in most Countries you will pay a fine & bring all up to date to leave. If a problem there when you leave you will be red stamped in your passport. This means never return there! & makes it hard to enter other Countries with it there. So stay current on visa's. & they are getting strickter on them most places.

• RICK

Most countries will just let you go

Some will fine you

Some will throw you in jail

Some jail you until you pay the fine

All depends on the country and how long you overstayed

Plus in all most all cases you will be banned from entering the country again, sometimes for up to 10 years to a permanent ban

They go home, and are banned from ever returning.

Actually it's not really any different country to country. As you leave, your passport will be scanned and you'll be marked as an overstayer, so you won't be issued another visa to travel back to that country without a lot of hassle.

• Try overstaying in China or Dubai. Not getting another visa is the least of your problems.

In the US nothing happens. In European countries you get detained at the airport until you pay a fine. You will also be banned from entering for up to 3 years.

Nothing. They will let you go. But if you ever want to come back, you need to apply for an extension (more difficult after the expiration date).

• Lisa A

Nothing. Nobody will stop you. You are free to go. You are encouraged to go. You are required to go.