Belly button piercing, cheerleading, HELP?!?

I’m 14 and turning 15 in December and I’ve been dying to get a naval piercing (belly button) and I’m also a cheerleader it’s all year so I don’t really have a break. I’ve read that you have to wait 6 months to take the ring out ( I have to take out all piercings during a comp but can put them back in right after) My competitions start in January so it would 6 months from now. My mom thinks I should wait but I think it would be better to do it now, what would be best?

• Laura

You should wait.

It takes 6 - 12 months for this piercing to fully heal. When it is fully healed you can change the jewelry. It will take multiple years before the piercing is established enough to be ok left out for a while.

If you can cover it with a bandage, you're fine, but if you can't then you shouldn't get the piercing until you can let it fully heal for a year.

This piercing takes 6 - 12 months to fully heal. My belly button piercing took 8 months to fully heal. With the irritation of cheerleading you will have a longer healing time. Don't get the piercing yet.

Firstly, for comps put a clear retainer in. Leaving it out for just the Comp would risk the whole thing closing up. Secondly, this piercing does take commitment to help heal; I got mine done at 16 and would say it took 10 months to heal. For the first 3 weeks I was unable to bend over, even 1 degrees would cause intense pain and I didn’t do anything really physical for the first month. Unless you are willing to take a few months off cheerleading, you will have a hell of a time healing it (the sweat and movement invites infections).

6 months should be fine. If you have a break you should get it now. Although new piercings are not recommended to be taken out for long periods of time. From what you said it will be ok. But remember that piercings are a BIG commitment. So look after it properly (especially as you’re quite young) I have my septum, medusa and vertical labret pierced. I hope this helped and good luck.