Can I break my lease?

My landlord wants to add an utility before I even moved in and told me four days before my move in date. I haven t signed an Addendum yet and was wondering if I can just back out of the lease because of the change?

No. Improvements to landlord's property are NOT considered changes to a rental agreement, and tenants cannot obstruct a landlord in making improvements to the property.

What the landlord can't do is charge you more money than what is stated in the rental agreement.

The lease is legally binding - for both parties

So the landlord can't add anything without agreement during the lease term.

And you can't back out, because you've signed the lease.

• DEBS

You can't back out of your lease. You don't have to sign the addendum or pay anything not in the original lease you signed. If he pushes the issue, explain that you have a contract (lease) but if he wants to terminate it before you move in he can sign a letter stating such and return all money you've given him on the spot. (Don't let him keep a dime. Don't fall for 'the check is the mail' type stuff.)

i would ask your landlord about it, he would know

• DEBS

Considering the landlord is looking out for his own interests and is already making changes when he shouldn't be, I think maybe he's not the best resource.

• Maxi

"Adding a utilty" is improving the property and the landlord can improve the property.... not sure why you are being asked to sign an apprendum though, unless utilities are paid by the landlord and the landlord wants you to pay now...in which case that is the landlords problem not yours and you don't have to sign, nor can you break the contract without it costing you to do so and that will depend on what the law is where you live and/or what early termination clause is written in the contract..... if utilities are not paid by the landlord then you are responsible to pay them and again regardless of if you sign or not

If the lease says the landlord pays utilities, then you don't sign an addendum that says you would pay this. You move in and live happily ever after.

If the lease doesn't say anything about the landlord paying utilities, then you are responsible for paying utilities regardless of whether you sign the addendum. Thus, it makes sense to sign it, since you are responsible either way.

I dont understand what you mean by "adding a utility"

What is "an utility" in this context?

No. You can refuse to sign the addendum though.

no, you also don't have to accept the change. if you and LL both agree, you can void the lease altogether....otherwise you and LL have to adhere to it as it