The A/C unit outside my house is an old GE produced in 1967. Runs beautifully. How long can I expect it to last?

same,my whirlpool is that age,,someone put it out in the alley,I hauled it a block or 2 buckled onto a luggage carrier,hosed it down,,took it apart to clean & oil the fan blade axis,clean the blades,everything inside I could reach with rags,blew out a lot of dust with the vac on exhaust/blow,mild soap sprayed with the garden hose,,emptied it on every side,dried it in the sun.used a comb to straighten the smooshed up condenser blades.I did re solder one of the wires feeding the capacitor can on top,used some paper towel as a suck filter on the front,it kicks out clean cool air,old is gold,these old dogs still have a lot of bark. another 10 years? who knows maybe 30 more years

Until it stops. Leave well enough alone. Ignorance sometimes helps.

The outside unit is just a fan and and coils in those days, the unit at the furnace does the work.

Lucky you. Don’t jinx it by asking on yahoo

• elhigh

You can't expect it to last five more minutes. 52 years on an air conditioner might be a record. I'm not exaggerating, be ready for it to fail literally any minute.

You've avoided a lot of costs by not having to replace any air conditioners; then again you have likely spent a LOT more powering an obsolete, inefficient unit. A new unit of comparable output could use as little as half the power in addition to being quieter and maybe even smaller.

Don't get me wrong, I love old equipment and keep weathered machines in use as long as I can. Best tractor I ever had was a 1945 Farmall. I dig an appliance with history.

But you should probably start dropping tens in an envelope for a new AC. Just keep doing it until you've got about $4000 in there, that should cover most of any new unit you could want.

When - not if - the time comes, don't get your new one from a big box stores. No Walmart or Home Depot lowest-tier models. Get a better one. It'll cost a little more but it'll work better and last longer. I recommend you get the highest SEER you can, then stretch your budget and get even higher. You'll save the extra cost back in just a couple of years.

Good luck with it.

• Droopy

it might last another hour or a couple years. I'd be expecting to replace it. So when it dies you have the means to replace it.

Now that you said something about it, expect it blow up within about a week.

How long is a piece of string.

You can EXPECT it to have failed a couple of decades ago.

With proper care, it may outlive you.

hopefully it can last forever