The A/C unit outside my house is an old GE produced in 1967. Runs beautifully. How long can I expect it to last?

15 Answers

Relevance
  • 6 months ago

same,my whirlpool is that age,,someone put it out in the alley,I hauled it a block or 2 buckled onto a luggage carrier,hosed it down,,took it apart to clean & oil the fan blade axis,clean the blades,everything inside I could reach with rags,blew out a lot of dust with the vac on exhaust/blow,mild soap sprayed with the garden hose,,emptied it on every side,dried it in the sun.used a comb to straighten the smooshed up condenser blades.I did re solder one of the wires feeding the capacitor can on top,used some paper towel as a suck filter on the front,it kicks out clean cool air,old is gold,these old dogs still have a lot of bark. another 10 years? who knows maybe 30 more years

• Anonymous
    6 months ago

Until it stops. Leave well enough alone. Ignorance sometimes helps.

• 6 months ago

The outside unit is just a fan and and coils in those days, the unit at the furnace does the work.

• 6 months ago

Lucky you. Don’t jinx it by asking on yahoo

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • elhigh
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

You can't expect it to last five more minutes. 52 years on an air conditioner might be a record. I'm not exaggerating, be ready for it to fail literally any minute.

You've avoided a lot of costs by not having to replace any air conditioners; then again you have likely spent a LOT more powering an obsolete, inefficient unit. A new unit of comparable output could use as little as half the power in addition to being quieter and maybe even smaller.

Don't get me wrong, I love old equipment and keep weathered machines in use as long as I can. Best tractor I ever had was a 1945 Farmall. I dig an appliance with history.

But you should probably start dropping tens in an envelope for a new AC. Just keep doing it until you've got about $4000 in there, that should cover most of any new unit you could want.

When - not if - the time comes, don't get your new one from a big box stores. No Walmart or Home Depot lowest-tier models. Get a better one. It'll cost a little more but it'll work better and last longer. I recommend you get the highest SEER you can, then stretch your budget and get even higher. You'll save the extra cost back in just a couple of years.

Good luck with it.

• Droopy
    Lv 5
    6 months ago

it might last another hour or a couple years. I'd be expecting to replace it. So when it dies you have the means to replace it.

• 6 months ago

Now that you said something about it, expect it blow up within about a week.

• 6 months ago

How long is a piece of string.

• 6 months ago

You can EXPECT it to have failed a couple of decades ago.

With proper care, it may outlive you.

• Pearl
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

hopefully it can last forever

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.