Why haven’t we been back to the moon?

We were supposed to have space flight technology 50 years ago?

27 Answers

Relevance
  • Zheia
    Lv 6
    5 months ago

It's due to cost.

• 5 months ago

Because NASA doesn't want us to

• 5 months ago

Because Congress reduced NASA funding to the point where manned spaceflights to the moon could not fit into the budget.

• Tom
    Lv 7
    5 months ago

How do you know we Haven't? ----We DO have a SECRET space Program you know. Even Ronald Regan's Biography has a part the Censor's missed, where he talks to a NASA official who tells him that we have over 400 people in space at any given time---and THAT was in the 1980s

• In
      Lv 7
      5 months agoReport

All of those secret astronauts are doing a wonderful job of keeping a secret over all these years.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 5 months ago

The Vietnam War and Liberal Retards

It has been disgracefully long

But Plans to go back are closer than you think

Time Target like before the end of 2020 too

With the Purpose of potential Mars Launches

Terraforming is even a serious consideration

On the Apollo Missions, they had about as much Computer Power as your car has

I still salute those guys of Apollo

Even though there was a load of guys about to turn blue down on the ground, ha ha

I was 9 btw and it was the beginning of my love affair with space

Too much time has been wasted

Attachment image
    Source(s): Apupo ha ha....A little known fact, when CAPCOM asked Neil if there was any smell, he first said it was a bit like Swamp Gas and a Baby's Nappy......Buzz added, Oops ! that was me !!, he further added it smelt overall like Gunpowder
  • Anonymous
    5 months ago

as the last apollo mission, apollo 17, was leaving the moon the astronauts received a radio transmission telling them not to return, and that mankind wasn't ready. many persons around the world also picked up the transmission in many different languages. the united states government heeded the warning and ended all plans for sending humans beyond low earth orbit.. astronauts haven't traveled anywhere beyond earth since.

• 5 months ago

In 2019 money, the Appolo program costs over 200 billion dollars. Today, NASA's total budget is a LOT less than that. So they do a lot of un-manned, automated probes to a lot of places (Moon, Mars, Saturn, etc.); these probes cost much less and most probes do not insist on bringing air, food and water... and they don't insist on coming back.

"We" (humans) have gone back to the Moon many times... with automated probes. Five countries have been on the Moon and many more have probes orbiting the Moon (which, in astronautics, does count as "going to the Moon").

• 5 months ago

Funding cuts for paying military to do the Vietnam war The shuttle program turned out to be a lot more expensive. Then wars in Middle East and Afghanistan took more money away from NASA.

Currently Rump is cutting funding to NASA again so he can grow the military funding even more. Seems he is preparing to go to war with China and maybe everybody else. He has pissed off all heads of state except the murdering dictators of Russia, Saudi Arabia, and North Korea. He likes playing kissy face with those. And he has not forgotten being laughed at during the United Nations General Assembly speech a while ago.

• PhotonX
      Lv 7
      5 months agoReport

If you'd told me a decade ago that the day would come that I'd thank the god I don't believe in if I were to awaken one morning to find Dubya still in office, I'd have laughed. Not any more.

• Clive
    Lv 7
    5 months ago

The question is why would you want to? It's incredibly expensive and what would it achieve?

It was done 50 years ago entirely for political reasons. The USA felt miffed that the Soviet Union had launched something into space first, especially after its own first attempt collapsed back on to the launch pad and blew up, So JFK issued the challenge to put a man on the Moon "before the decade is out" in the hope that America could do that first.

Which it did, yay, amazing, 6 times (and another attempt that went wrong but a triumph in its own way that the astronauts still got back safe and sound), but having done that, so what? It cost a fortune, people were losing interest now it had been done, and there was the Vietnam War to pay for. So the last 3 Apollo missions got cancelled.

OK, so it can be done. But it cost a fortune and you need to find a good reason for doing it again to justify the expense.

Meanwhile, we HAVE been back, just not with people. If you just want to learn more about the Moon, unmanned probes are much cheaper and they can do more now than they ever could before.

• Anonymous
    5 months ago

people are too busy battling manspreading to do anything worthwhile

• Nicely put. Interpretation for the thick: the public has been dumbed down to only care about inanity, anything more is too cerebral.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.