Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceOther - Education · 5 months ago

Why do you put your children in public school?

Public schools are an absolute joke. They are used for indoctrination not education. Bullying runs rampant. School shootings etc etc. Public School these days is nothing more than glorified babysitters. So why do you put your children in public school? Is it because you don't know that public school is terrible for your child? Or you just don't care?

I want them to grow up to be thugs.

Source(s): aasq....

I've never heard anyone in education ever refer to anything as 'the indoctrination phase.' Oh look! Watch this video about military life and count how many times they use the term 'indoctrination phase.' It starts at 2:33 when they emphasize how the very first phase is called the 'indoctrination phase.'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k6LBuyxy6Ns

Youtube thumbnail

Source(s): I don't even wanna be a doctor. Why would I wanna be 'indoctorated?' Lol.

Many parents cannot afford private or parochial school is why. If my mother's second pregnancy has given me a little brother, he would have gone to private school and I would have gone to public school. My mother categorically refused to send her children to Catholic schools because one pair of grandparents were founders of the Disciples if Christ sect. On an associate professors salary, private school tuition for more than one child was not possible. Private schools did NOT offer financial aid in the h1950s and 1960s. Some if my classmates in different grades were on scholarship.

Finances and the economy were VERY different 60 and 50 years ago. You can blame Reagan for making near monopolies possible and Bush 43 for common core destroying public education. 50 years ago the claim was that PRIVATE schools were indoctrinating and brainwashing kids.

Make up your mind. You can't have it BOTH ways, but there are alternative choices that were not available 60 to 50 years ago. .no

Source(s): Don't fool yourself that bullying does not happen in private schools, up to raping and murdering and burying the body behind a shed in the backyard. This really did happen in greater New Orleans. U think that was before Katrina, but it might have been a few years after, 9 or10 years ago.

What would you have people do? Most people can't afford private schools. Homeschooling only works if the kids are made to do the school work.

Every public school is different. Schools vary even more state to state. For example, the test scores at my public school were the best in the state (including private schools) during the time I went there. Bullying happened as it does everywhere, but the number of incidents were actually very low and far less extreme than many of the stories I heard from many of my private school friends.

As far as homeschooling goes, being a good teacher is not an easy job. Most parents do not have the time, resources, knowledge, and/or abilities to do a good job teaching their children and to keep them caught up with the material they need to know at their age.

In the end, public schools need to be judged on an individual basis. Are some terrible? Definitely. That being said, many public schools actually provide a reasonable education.

• audrey

Not everyone can AFFORD a private school.

• MedMoose5 months agoReport

Not everyone can afford to stay home with their kids and homeschool them. Public schools also function as daycare for kids allowing parents to work while their children are at school. Also many people would not be good teachers and subsequently give their children a substandard education.

Most families both parents work and it saves a lot of money to stick their kids in a school. Also most families don't know what really goes on in school and don't really care.

• Jolene

I'm a public school teacher. What indoctrination are you talking about? I teach facts. And I have news for you, bullying happens in private schools too. And private schools are much more likely to be controlling on what your children can be taught (i.e. indoctrination), instead of allowing the free flow of ideas.

• MedMoose5 months agoReport

True. Many of the people I know of who went to private school recounted extreme stories of bullying that would never have been tolerated in my public school. At their private school however, the offenders were the "favorite students" so the incidents were swept under the rug.