Do you think it's uncouth/wrong for a single, grown woman who doesn't have any children in her 20s to be watching children's movies?

• Angie
    Favorite Answer

I do not think it is wrong for childless adults to watch children's movies. Perhaps a bit out of the ordinary, but certainly not wrong. When my children were much younger, I watched movies with them, but it was out of a sense of spending quality family time together, not because I was particularly entertained by the movies. Different strokes for different folks. However, there are some settings in which it may be odd or unusual. If there is some type of showing or premiere event that has been advertised and geared primarily toward the entertainment of children, I don't think it would be a good idea for a childless adult to attend. That could come across as a bit creepy, especially in such a day and age in which people are hyper-vigilant when it comes to child predators. While it wouldn't necessarily be "wrong" for an adult to attend for their own entertainment, it would probably just be wise to avoid those settings and watch the movie at home.

• bluebellbkk

If there is a children's movie on at a cinema and I want to see it, I just go. Nobody flinches away from me. Yes, it might look a little odd for a man, but a woman? There is simply no problem.

• Lili

Of course not.

I'm not sure you understand what the word "uncouth" means. It refers to being poorly raised, with bad manners - not knowing how to behave in polite society.

And it certainly isn't "wrong". I collect children's books and love reading them. If you like watching children's movies, it's fine. Some of them are really fine, worth watching and enjoying.

Just be sure, though, that this doesn't reflect some serious immaturity on your part. If you're refusing to grow up, accept adult responsibilities, then the movies could be a symptom of that problem.

• bluebellbkk

Presumably this isn't ALL that the young woman does. I can't imagine why this simple pleasure annoys you so much.

Uncouth/wrong????? strange wording there. I am in my 70's and still watch kids movies once in a while, the uncomplicated nature is refreshing

• bluebellbkk

I have a lot of videos and DVDs at home, of all kinds of films including children's ones. Supposing I watch one of them three or four times - it's already paid for itself. Besides, why is it your business to decide how this young woman should spend her money? You're being ridiculous.

I'm a grown woman in my 70s who doesn't have any children. There are lots of children's movies that I still enjoy.

PS I'm curious about why you used the word 'uncouth'. I can't make it work in this context at all.

• bluebellbkk

Sure, but where is it written that "Thou shalt not watch a movie that is not 'geared' towards thee?" A good movie, like a good book, may be suitable for people of all ages.

• GEEGEE

No. Do you think she's a pedophile in hiding?

No. Its not. People can watch whatever movie they want to

Whaaaaat!? There's a young childless lady watching "Rated G" movies!? Get a rope.

• Cogito

Not at all. I'm in my 60s and I love loads of animated movies.

i dotn see anything wrong with it, they could be doing worse stuff

• y

Nope, we all grow up enjoying certain movies or this and that. It makes sense if one is comfortable in their own skin to revisit them from time to time. It's the same sort of debate as to, when we should stop climbing a tree, or eating kids foods like mac and cheese. If one enjoys something and it does not hurt others, then do not stop doing it becouse we are supposedly, grown up.

• Dze

depends on 'how children' they are .. i can get into a good pixar movie like bugs life, but barney .. no lol ...