Are most British people at least partially of Irish descent?

When I’m looking at famous British people, I’m always noticing how many of them either have Irish sounding last names (like Paul McCartney or Pat O’Malley), or it says they have some Irish in them. Makes sense I guess since Ireland and the UK are so close to eachother.

• Maxi

'Most' no but there are areas in the UK where Irish migrated to live/work such as Liverpool, Coventry, Manchester etc etc where many British citizens are also Irish citizens or have Irish ancestry

• Clive

Most, no, but a lot are, from the time when many Irishmen crossed the sea for work. That would be particularly true in Liverpool because it's a port where many arrived - it's been a major influence on the Liverpool accent. And indeed it was easy to cross over when it was all one country, from 1800 until Irish independence in 1922. It's still possible for British and Irish citizens to visit each other's countries without a passport.

In fact this is a sticking point for any Brexit agreement - with the UK being out of the EU and the Republic of Ireland still in it, keeping an open border between the two is impossible without some ingenious solution. Both governments want to keep it but the EU has a problem with that.

No. Recent surveys and genetic tests show that perhaps 25% of Britons have some Irish ancestry. I'm saying perhaps because while the figures vary according to what the surveys and tests were looking for, 25% is about as high as it gets.