Craig asked in HealthMental Health · 5 months ago

Taking a day off due to depression?

This morning, I literally could not get out of bed. I had a terrible nights sleep because I felt extremely emotionally uncomfortable. I work for a small retail store in the UK and on Saturdays there always seem to only be two staff members to save costs. This morning I knew that If I went in I would have had a nervous breakdown and felt terrible. I hate Saturdays because I always feel like I am micromanaged and we are understaffed. I don't feel appreciated there in general and it has ruined my self esteem along with other issues and problems in my life. So I told my manager that I was ill and could not come in. I feel guilty but on the other side, other staff members that work weekdays have complained that sick days are inevitable and it is that managers problem if someone is sick and and he only employs 2 people for the day.

He replied, how am I suppose to manage on my own on saturdays?

I have not replied, I don't have the energy to even think about it. I feel bad for not having the courage to go in but my depression has literally destroyed me recently.

• Grace

Please do not do that very often and if you have lots of accumulated sick leave days think about donating them to someone in need that has a family crisis so you engender good will from others. This might save someones job if there is sickness in the family and you might enjoy work more if your work mates like you more.

Ive done it before. just make sure you are up front about it

I took a month off for my depression. My boss was like: go get a pill or something. Whatever. I feel better though. Back to work, stronger than ever.

Manic depression puts many people on disability. Manic depression is where people cannot cope with life. They have no will to do anything. The important thing is to focus on other people or things instead of yourself. Aches and pains come with depression. You think there is nothing in your future worth living for, but the future belongs to God and He can make miracles happen for you. Trust the Lord instead of yourself and call on Him to make life better for you.

If it seems like it's getting worse and you really don't need the job(It's not paying for school or living expenses), then you can either look for another job while working this one in the meantime, or just say that you'll put in your 2 weeks and leave. Don't put the paycheck and the benefit of having a job, above your health. Be nice to yourself.

Since you face an unrealistic workload in your workplace, discuss your situation with your employer. Whenever possible, offer solutions that meet both your needs and those of your employer. Reassure your employer of your commitment to your work, and explain what you are willing to do, but be clear and firm about what you are not able to do. Use foresight and be realistic. If you want to work less, your employer may expect you to accept less compensation. Anticipate risks such as the threat of job loss, and be prepared to respond. Remember that your prospects for finding a different job are better while you are still employed. Even when you have reached a mutually agreeable work arrangement with your employer, you can expect to be pressured again to take on more work. Remain firm by keeping to the commitments that you have made. Doing so might give you leverage to ask your employer to do the same in return, including keeping your workload within the agreed limits. The Bible promises a time that one day soon, “no resident will say: ‘I am sick.’” (Isaiah 33:24) In the meantime, do all you can to safeguard your health.

• Jahal

I imagine that you need the money or you wouldn't be still working there. So you need to start looking for another job.

It was good that you recognized your limits, and called in sick. A preventative day ifg is just as valid as being ill.

Take time to relax pamper yourself with a soothing bath, a cup if tea.

Spend at least an hour applying for new jobs that look like better places to work. Ask friends and family if they know of any openings.

Hopefully you can find something better soon.

Nothing depressing here except you just do not like your job because they make you work for your check. Find another job and get on with your life but stop trying to convince yourself you are all ill and depressed when you just do not want to go to work. What are you plans for the day?

Unlike most answers, depression isn't that easy to deal with. Long story short, my 'friends' started treating me badly at 17, and I felt unwanted- like a burden most of the time. Within 2 months, I was isolated by my 'friends' school every single day, and was constantly placed in situations where people told me I was just 'nothing.' My other friends laughed at me and blocked me on social media, which convinced me something was wrong with me. I was so convinced there was something wrong, that I would not go outside of home, and would run to the bathrooms during classes, as I developed severe social anxiety.

In the next 2 months, the social isolation got worse, and for some reason, I began feeling numb and empty- like there was nothing I could feel. Not happiness, not sadness - just empty.

IThis feeling remained, as I constantly convinced myself to place myself in those situations because I wanted to know what was wrong with me.

I wasn't suicidal but was self harming for a year and a half throughout this time, and it took me that long before I found help.

If you think you are depressed, dont wait for 2yrs like me, get help immediately.

• Atiquah4 months agoReport

FInd help, it's the only way. Avoid isolation at all costs. Sometimes being around people made me feel sick, and whenever new people said anything good- like I'm a nice person, and they want to be my friend- I just shut them off. Be around positive ppl, but don't get urself too attached- ppl change.

Deal with depression by: 1. Get friends 2. Don't allow yourself to think that things will never get better. 3. Don't drink (or drink in moderation) 4. Keep up your health (exercise in the morning or evening, drink plenty of water (especially distilled water which will keep you from getting aches and pains), eat sensibly, stay away from colas and carbs. 5. Help others. You will absorb yourself in the needs of others and stop focusing on your own miseries.