Taking a day off due to depression?

This morning, I literally could not get out of bed. I had a terrible nights sleep because I felt extremely emotionally uncomfortable. I work for a small retail store in the UK and on Saturdays there always seem to only be two staff members to save costs. This morning I knew that If I went in I would have had a... show more This morning, I literally could not get out of bed. I had a terrible nights sleep because I felt extremely emotionally uncomfortable. I work for a small retail store in the UK and on Saturdays there always seem to only be two staff members to save costs. This morning I knew that If I went in I would have had a nervous breakdown and felt terrible. I hate Saturdays because I always feel like I am micromanaged and we are understaffed. I don't feel appreciated there in general and it has ruined my self esteem along with other issues and problems in my life. So I told my manager that I was ill and could not come in. I feel guilty but on the other side, other staff members that work weekdays have complained that sick days are inevitable and it is that managers problem if someone is sick and and he only employs 2 people for the day.

He replied, how am I suppose to manage on my own on saturdays?

I have not replied, I don't have the energy to even think about it. I feel bad for not having the courage to go in but my depression has literally destroyed me recently.