Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesBooks & Authors · 5 months ago

How do you gather inspiration when you are bored and nothing sparks your interest?

• Lisa

I read or write make up stuff someone will read it.

• C

If I don't fancy doing anything, and who hasn't ever had a day like that? I go through my mental list of little things that need doing that I've been putting off for BS reasons and force myself to get started doing one, and then another, and another if need be. Usually just getting into doing "a thing" is enough to shake me out of a funk, and in the rare event that it hasn't at least I can say that I've gotten a few things done.

Go to Twoo or BADOO and find a guy and invite him over and do the wild thing.

• Marli

When I'm bored, I don't look for "inspiration" because I'm not in the mood to appreciate anything. So I do my crocheting, take a walk, do the dishes, watch t.v., read the questions here.

I have an "ideas" file too. I call it my commonplace book, where I write down quotes from books that grab my attention. Right now, I've got a few from "God, the Devil and Harry Potter" about the struggle between good and evil. Other books have told me about Henry VIIIs diet. Queen Victoria gobbled her food. Little things about the royals can be amusing. One might be of interest one day.

I watch 2Girls1Cup

Well, normally my inspiration is all ready gathered in an "ideas file". I may work on those or I may take on and write a short-story on it. I think the importance is in that you write everyday, not what you write every day. So I might write a short piece, edit it and ask my betas for feedback. Submitting multiple pieces of work is useful in showing over all weaknesses as a writer, not just the weaknesses in a script.

Hope this helps

Like MsBittner, I have an ideas file, where I write down anything I think might be useful in a story. Every now and then, I re-read the file, or parts of it, and add comments or look for connections. Sometimes a story idea comes to me in a flash, but often it's not as a result of seeing one thing and forming a whole story from it. Instead I see something that I can connect to something in the ideas file (which might have been there for five or ten years).

Visiting new places or doing new things is a good way to get material for the ideas file.

• Andrew

Have you tried READING?

I can honestly say that that's never happened to me, but I usually get a lot of ideas when walking the dog, gardening etc.

• Dj2541

Go for a ride on your Mountain bike? and dont tell me you dont have one!!! Every famous Author has a Mountain bike and if you dont have one you should get one. The wind in your hair, the sunshine on your face, the adrenaline from dodging the crazy car drivers, you will be full of inspiration ASAP.