Anonymous

Why are people still racist?

One of my peers had a thesis defense today and because everyone was welcomed to attend, I went to see how it was like. When I walked into the room, there was the student, supervisor, and two other people huddled together talking something. I said hi to each of them, but they didn't say anything. I then said I'll come back later when it is actually starting time. Two extra people then showed up and so I walked in with them. The supervisor immediately said hi to them and ignored me when I piped in a cheerful tone that I'm here to listen too. I hope it wasn't because I'm a student of color. The only question the supervisor asked me a few minutes later was if so and so would be sitting where. How would I know?

Yes, their is still racism. Their are still zenophobes on being fat, ugly and being gay or a transgender. Being black or asian still have racism, but everything is different in 2019 where everybody is welcome. They can hate us, but they can throw us out or put you guys in chains for slavery. They forget we have equal rights too.

Because conservatives and their sh!t racism against minorities.

I’d put it down to upbringing and/or fear from lack of exposure to other races, growing up.

The problem here is who’s the one thinking about skin color in this scenario. Clearly you. I notice that most black people are consumed in believing everything is because of their skin color. I am a mixed race girl (black and white) and yes I have experienced racism but it was blatant racism, actual words spoken. For me unless someone flat out says racist things I don’t go around thinking people are rude or mean to me because of my skin color. Probably because.. I don’t think about race.

Let me also say racism is a two sided street, when I was in Alabama/Mississippi I experienced more blatant racism from blacks.. than I ever did whites. My own people. Such a shame.

Not to mention blacks in the south have everything from separate schools, colleges and churches by their own doing. The looks I got when I walked through those parts of town.. the “you don’t belong here” looks. It’s truly disgusting, blacks

And white alike.

You defensive attitude could possibly have been part of the problem. Bet you didn't even consider the possibility that the other people were known to the person you are referring to as the Supervisor. The Question you were asked may have been because the "Supervisor" thought you knew the person she was asking about, Your attitude would have gotten you a response from me, but not the one that you seem to fell your presence deserves, you are not a member of the class or apparently known to the people who were in the room.

Source(s): College instructor and thesis panel member.

The story you've shared does not seem to contain any of the elements that comprise racism. People seemed to be ignoring you because the event you went to watch was a crucial moment for the aspiring candidate, and also for his thesis advisor and the advisor's grad students. You arrived when they were trying to do a last-minute prep, briefing the candidate on who would be attending and what questions they would likely ask. It was a very tense moment. When the faculty members began to arrive, the candidate and his advisor were understandably focused on who had shown up, since that would determine what kind of challenge the candidate might receive.

It isn't clear that the fact that their attention was elsewhere had anything to do with your being a student of color. You might be better off considering this as an awkward situation, in which their manners might have been compromised by their preoccupation with the task at hand.

Those are only Devil following ones!

With GOD comes LOVE that includes LOVING everyone everywhere!