patty
Lv 5
patty asked in TravelAustraliaGeneral - Australia · 5 months ago

should George Calambaris be kicked off MasterChef because of underpaying staff?

13 Answers

Relevance
  • Cecil
    Lv 7
    4 months ago

It is a matter for the Masterchef producers, Channel 10 and George.

• Kate
    Lv 7
    5 months ago

He should definitely not be part of the panel on the next season. His reputation is in tatters and no longer a credible person. This season has already been filmed though so no changing that.

• Fred
    Lv 7
    5 months ago

Just shows these supposed nice people on TV are just like the rest of us or worse. Yes I think he should be kicked off the show. Apparently if you go on a TV show as a contestant you have to disclose any criminal convictions and will be excluded from being selected to be on the show if you have any to avoid the show becoming embarrassed. I don't believe it was purely an accident he underpaid these employees. Underpaying wages in restaurants is apparently rampant and it appears as so many restaurant owners flagrantly believe they can get away with it. As far as I am concerned underpaying staff is actually the crime of stealing from them and they should get a criminal conviction. In cases where the wages kept back are huge there should be prison terms as these business owners have stolen these wages from their employees wage packets. In this case the amount stolen from his employees should have resulted in prison time. If you stole that amount in a robbery you would be imprisoned so how do these bosses steal so much and receive a fine where a robber would get prison..

UPDATE. It appears all the 3 chefs are leaving at the end of this season. All 3 asked for huge pay increases which the channel do not want to pay and there has been a lot of viewers demanding George Calambaris be dismissed from the show. It is quite possible all 3 men have killed their plum job because they are greedy.

• Cecil
      Lv 7
      4 months agoReport

Regardless of what you think, George did not commit a crime in underpaying his workers. You wernt party to the contract negotiations. You don't know why the three wont be appearing next season.

• 5 months ago

Most definitely. The $200,000 fine was nothing, he should be in gaol.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 5 months ago

I read he did pay them back when he realized …….

• Anonymous
    5 months ago

Better than that people should stop watching it . I have never watched it

• 5 months ago

I just watched the show where contestants made dinner for the staff at the Press Club. The staff all seemed quite loyal to George and happy to be working for him. Here's a quote from The Guardian- "The company said the ombudsman confirmed its finding that employees were wrongly classified and underpaid due to incorrect processes and failures across its payroll and human resources systems.

The Made group chief executive, Leigh Small, said all current team members were now correctly classified and new procedures were in place."

• Aussie Battler
      Lv 7
      5 months agoReport

Now perhaps you would like to quote either the cheated workers or even an independent source.

• Anonymous
    5 months ago

Given the amount he stole & given he was motivated by pure greed he should be facing prison time.

• 5 months ago

If enough people complain or the ratings suffer he will.

• 5 months ago

The show has actually be taped for the season. Maybe he won't be there next year.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.