What are boy scouts?

And why does there have to be boy scouts and girls scouts instead of just scouts?

Is it like sports teams or something? If not, I don't think they should be divided.

If it's just about having fun and adventure and it isn't about competition, why should it be divided?

I heard that girl scouts is only about selling cookies. Is that true? Or do they have the fun activities boy scouts do as well?

Favorite Answer

BSA is now just "Scouts" and girls are admitted. I have a Cub Scout in my home and half his troop is female. This policy changed recently.

• In

The Boy Scouts are an organization that specializes in harvesting young victims for pedophiles. The Girl Scouts are an organization that markets cookies to obese people.

• Toruko

BSA (Boy Scouts of America), a legally vacated label.

Now termed as SCOUTS. All-gender. To lose prior

negative values based on discrimination bias. It was

that or be legally taken for every dime that BSA had.

• Jon

Most of the world have Scout (for boys) and Guide (for girls) groups. For some reason the USA did not take up the name 'Guides' and called them 'Boy Scouts' and 'Girl Scouts' instead.

(The original reason the Guides existed was that when Baden-Powell organised the first Scout rally on Brownsea Island, England, a number of girls turned up insisting that they were also Scouts and refused to leave, causing Baden-Powell to get a female relative to set up the Guides to accomodate them).

While the Scouts/Guides were divided by gender from the start, several other uniformed youth groups were not, such as the Falcons around Europe and the Woodcraft Folk in the UK, which recruited children of both sexes from the 1920's onwards. In some countries, e.g. the UK, the Scouts have now followed suit and admitted girls.

Boy Scouts & Girl Guides.:

"Scouts Canada" www.scouts.ca

"Girl Guides of Canada" www.girlguides.ca

It used to be a perfect Yin & Yang. I didn't mind that each group was exclusive.

Our society, supposedly, doesn't discriminate based upon sex…

But, the Guides still don't allow boys!

There was no good reason to invite girls into an all-boys Boy Scouts. Boys and girls learn differently. In their respective groups, both can learn without the distraction of the opposite sex.

Boys learn bonding and the brotherhood of men.

Boys learn the value of team through work/training.

Girls learn sisterhood and independence from their experiences in the guides.

They can’t just call it scouts because the Girl Scouts don’t allow boys the way Boy Scouts allows girls.

The boy part wasnt pc, because were living in the age of miaandry

Boy scouts is an organization that was originally aimed at boys but now also incorporates girls. Personally, I don't think it's a bad time for boys to have "boy-time" with their male peers and the same idea for girls. Yes, it's healthy to socialize with the opposite sex during childhood (and adulthood too) but it's equally healthy to allow boys and girls to bond with those of the same gender. I support the same thing within the education system too. My siblings and I all attended single-sex high schools and the methods of teaching were specifically aimed at the way each specific gender learns the best and we have all gone on to have very successful careers.