Jesse
Jesse asked in Home & GardenDo It Yourself (DIY) · 5 months ago

Looking for a product that I can apply to plastic, that can harden, and that will be water proof.?

I’m making outriggers for my kayak. I’m using pvc, large ones with 5 in. diameters for the buoys, them I’m filling them with foam. Most people on the front of them will get a block of wood and tapper it to a nose and slide it into the pvc pipe. I don’t have those tools so I thought of using the top of 2 liters instead, but id like to coat them with a hardening material. I don’t know what that would be.

just use the pvc pipes, caps and glue, it's already water proof. if you really have the desire to taper it, just use pvc fittings and gradually skinny it down

• In

The whole purpose of a Whitewater Kayak is to be able to roll the kayak over. Adding an outrigger defeats that purpose. You might as well be in a raft, not that running the rapids in a raft can't be fun too. If you are talking about a Sea Kayak, then I can see the benefit of an outrigger like the traditional Polynesian Islander boats, in which case end caps are available for PVC pipes of all sizes at your local hardware store.

• Jesse

Didn’t specify that it was a whitewater kayak. It’s not it’s a fishing kayak and people put homemade outriggers on them all the time.

The hardening agent is a cop-out. I can see what you could do. Put an upward angle on the front with a cap on top. But it would cost.

• Edwena

One would think that if you are going into the water, you would be very certain that your equipment is substantial. Perhaps you should come close to drowning to learn that you launch only after all the preparations are made. For example, are you sure your foam is not open cell and absorbs water?

• Edwena

When you sink, you will realize how smart I am. If you are spraying foam out of a can, spray some, let it dry and soak it in a bucket of water. Chances are it will be water logged. If you use it and need it, it will be too late to discover that it doesn't work. It serves no purpose as a pontoon.

• Steve

You could try spraying the bottles with "Flex-Seal". I would suggest a harder plastic, like from a bleach bottle.

• roger

Fill the plastic bottle with foam caulk. Should do it. Paint the bottle black so the UV light does not harm the foam.

If you are using PVC pipe for the pontoons then just gluing (with pvc cement) them should make them watertight. -- You should not need foam in them.....

You can pressure test them. glue on an air valve and pump them to 30 psi If they stay at 30 psi for two days then they should be tight.

MOST plastic is already waterproof.

2 liter bottles would be WORTHLESS if they weren't waterproof.

• Jesse

Yeah, but not having a hardened 2 liter outrigger will make it very easy to be damaged.

you could try arnazon, they sell everything there