Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsWeddings · 5 months ago

Is it weird for a guy to take you shopping for a engagement ring ?

Engagements are supposed to be surprised only ! Why take someone to get an engagement ring ...then it’s no surprise? Is this typical or unusual? What’s your experience?

• drip

No, not at all uncommon.

You can be asked without having a ring. I would of liked to have gone shopping together for my engagement ring,

My daughter and her husband talked over everything. They knew they would be married. They talked over where they wanted to be -they were both graduating college- and their budget, what money should be spent on the engagement and wedding rings, And he did a formal, down on one knee proposal

It's about 50/50.

• GB

That's what we did, and it felt normal.

it rnight be weird but at least youre getting one, i never did

These days, not really. You DO want to like it, if you get one, right?!

As others said, engagements shouldnt be a total surprise because marriage shouldve already been a discussion for some time.

I think another note is personal preference. I always ask for clothes for Christmas from my mom. However my fashion sense is kinda particular so my mom and I go shopping together instead. I get to pick out what I want so nobody is wasting their money on stuff i wont like. Maybe his girlfriend wanted to pick her ring so it's one she knows she loves. Maybe she knows her boy has terrible taste. Who knows. As long as both parties are happy with the choice though it doesnt really matter.

• Teal

The exact time and place of a proposal may be a surprise, but anyone who is actually ready to be married will know it's coming. You should have thoroughly discussed marriage, children, your expectations, your future goals, and worked out the financial details long before the actual proposal. If you haven't done this, then a proposal is an empty gesture at best, odds are you won't make it down the aisle. Also if he is going to spend the money on a ring, it only makes sense to let you choose it yourself, or at the very least browse with you so he knows exactly what you like and expect. You will not be happy if you let him guess.

• edward

Well...at least you get the ring you want. My sister went shopping with her boyfriend for an engagement ring and she got sooo stressed out every time they went on a date because it might’ve been the night he asked her and it just never happened

• edward

I agree but at least she got rid of that loser

When my partner's parents would not believe we were engaged without a ring, I remember standing outside a jewellers and trying to put enough money together to buy the smallest diamond. No cards over there.

• Dze

some guys probably didnt have a solid family experience to draw proper etiquette from .. if your not ok with that 'now' would be the time to deal with it lol ..