Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationMaintenance & Repairs · 5 months ago

How long can you go with a bad front wheel bearing?

I just found out a couple days ago that my front wheel bearing is going bad. I plan on getting it fixed in about 2-3 weeks. Will it be fine until then?

Update:

It makes a little bit of a humming noise when at or above 40 mph.

23 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    5 months ago
    Best answer

You can go until the wheel stops turning. Then it costs more to fix. Then it is bearing and axle stub. Outside of that, not much else happens. You would also need a TOW TRUCK TO TOW IT AWAY. And you burnt up a tire.

Humming noise?? would have me looking at the tires FIRST. Bearings sing a gravelly bass....like Rod Stewart. They never hum.

Try swapping tires around(do tire rotation) with radials that is front to back on same side.) Also inspect the tires carefully for debris...gravel in the tread and pick it out because new they never came with rocks. Tire separation should not be happening these days but only you can see if there is a bulge on the bottom of the tire. Also have the tires to the correct tire pressure as written on the car door or in the driver's manual. NOT THE 32 ON THE TIRE as that is a number that is universal with all the tires no matter if the car is as light as a SMART car or is a Cadillac. One car weighs over a ton and the other doesn't and yet the tire number is 32. Something is wrong with that number don't cha think? The owner's manual will tell you what the tire pressure is Suppose to be for that CAR. Trust the car manufacturer that they are right. My HONDA for example has 35PSI recommendation. The manufacturer also recommends the correct tire size to be on the car. Also drive on a different road. Chances are also good it could be THAT particular road....is the problem.

Bearing failure is not something I have experienced and I have put 1 million miles on a vehicle, bearings are fine. CV's have failed but not bearings.

Wheel will never come off because it is bolted on. Also check the tightness of the wheel nuts. Some sicko's are running around with a wrench and loosening the wheel nuts on cars so that they are either missing or on finger tight.

I personally would find a more knowledgeable mechanic than the one you are seeing now.They would be doing an unnecessary job & you still have the problem. "THAT MECHANIC" & having to pay him for not the solution.

Some inexpensive tire have oddball tread patterns that sound different than what you are used to. Aggressive snow tires HUM when on the highway, that is the road noise of the tread. Nothing else. In the snow they don't make that noise because they are in the snow and not on hard pavement. Turn up the radio to some tunes is the normal solution. Some cars are not so well insulated against road noise or your window is open a crack or the rubber door seal is missing....so you hear the road noise. Or exhaust pipe is rubbing against the metal of the body and that vibration sounds like a hum. That is an easy see by you if you crawl under the car and check to see that the exhaust pipe does not touch the metal body. It should be on rubber hangers that hold it away from the car. Or a body part is loose or in the engine compartment and vibrating. Check the air cleaner element to make sure it is not ripped. and everything is as it SHOULD BE. Your eyeball fingering inspection is FREE. The mechanic is charging you money to do the same falking thing. Difference being you are looking for the problem. Not trying to pay money for something useless.

Put it this way. If the car had a carburetor, they would blame the carb. Not that it is the problem, but it seems to work in mysterious ways...so they can LIE and get away with it.

40+ year mechanic.

• Cap'n. America
      Lv 4
      5 months agoReport

Might be RWD. No no make. model, year.. Might even be motorcycle. Moust stop asuming every car out there is FWD, V6, and EFI.

• 5 months ago

Better not to drive at all

• Anonymous
    5 months ago

Two weeks and after that you better get it fixed now before it’s too late

• 5 months ago

Trick question... you don’t

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • fuzzy
    Lv 6
    5 months ago

It's a lottery. Do you feel lucky? You may get away with it or the bearing could seize, snap the stub axle off & the car roll over at speed or end up on the wrong side of the road under a bus.

If you have a mechanic you trust take it SLOWLY to him, get him to judge how serious it is, how long you can delay replacement & follow his advice.

• 5 months ago

Anywhere from 1 inch to 10,000 miles. If the bearing is going bad, it is IMPOSSIBLE to predict when it will fail without further warning.

• Phil M
    Lv 7
    5 months ago

"All the way to the scene of the crash"

• 5 months ago

Yes, if you park it up and don't drive it.

Driving it is not going to make it better, all it can do is make it more expensive to repair. That is if you don't kill yourself in the meantime.

• Percyqted
      Lv 7
      5 months agoReport

The old LID syndrome (Let It Develop) If something is going bad it will never cost you less if you don't fix it early. At best it will cost the same or more, especially if a tow truck on the interstate becomes involved.

• Gabe
    Lv 6
    5 months ago

It is not a matter of length or "measurements". It is a matter of durability and endurance.

• CB
    Lv 7
    5 months ago

A rear sealed bearing will hum for many many miles, however the best advice is don't put off the repair if it seizes and you DON'T crash the repair costs will likely triple or quadruple.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.