Princess asked in SportsRunning · 5 months ago

Do you think track would be a good sport to start in Highschool?

Hello, I'm 15 and I'm going to be a sophomore in 1 more month. I am also overweight but I can be active at some times. I have been struggling in my weight for as long as I can remember. My mother convinced me to try and sign up for a highschool activity. She said she did track when she was in highschool and it kept her fit. I hate all the other sports and I wanna do track but I'm afraid that I'm going to be left behind because of lack of experience. So I'm looking for advice from your answers. Do you think track is good for an overweight highschool sport beginner?

4 Answers

  • 5 months ago

    Go for it.

    Don't worry about being left behind. It will take time, but you'll become faster as you gain experience. Next year, someone else will join the team, and that person might be afraid of being left behind. But, you, and others on the team, having been there, will be able to offer guidance. You'll make new friends.

    When I was in 9th grade, a teacher talked to a kid in my class about the kid being overweight. The teacher advised him to take up running. He did. He lost weight, and became the #2 runner on the cross country team.

  • Anonymous
    5 months ago

    It sounds like a good idea if you're up for it. I used to be overweight for years but now I'm in perfect shape from exercise & good diet. If you have good lungs, I say go for it. Doesn't matter if you're not the best, learn as you go & get better with each try.

  • klypos
    Lv 6
    5 months ago

    It is good that you are looking at it, but if you are heavily built you might consider discus, javelin or rowing as being better options.

    • Princess5 months agoReport

      Thanks you so much. Sorry I have trouble understanding people sometimes😂

  • 5 months ago

    You'd be better off, physically, if you took a sport that kept you constantly moving, like cross-country or swimming, even tennis.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.