Joe asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw & Ethics · 5 months ago

Can I take my ex to small claims court in Florida over an engagement ring?

I proposed to her in Florida where I reside. She currently lives in New York. She ended the relationship. The ring was $3,000. She refuses to return it. Can I file small claims here in Florida and have her served in New York?

Yes, of course you can.

I believe in most, if not all, states you can do that.

Yes but what price glory? This is probably going to cost you money out of pocket and then so what you get a Judgment no guarantee she is going to pay or return the ring. there are bi@chs out there and she may have already had the diamond removed and replaced and you would have to spend to prove that.

Your money to spend.

If the value of the ring qualifies for small claims. You may want to consult a lawyer and see what the precedent is, it is quite possible this type of case has been decided before and you could save yourself some time.

• Maxi

Sure you can, however realise that it will cost you money to sue and even if you win, she may still ignore the civil judgement so you won't get it back unless you continually pay and return to court to get further judgements and court bailiffs to collect...even then they may not be able to collect

• Pj

let it go man. learn your lesson. think of it as the sleeper that got away

• David

Yes you can but you'll only win if the engagement ring would be returned on the condition that she no longer wants to marry you..

If you gave her an engagement ring and the relationship ended prior to the wedding then you are welcome to file in small claims court but you are going to lose.

A) The ring became her property when you gave it to her.

B) Historically, the reason for an engagement ring was to compensate the fiancee and her family in advance for any costs they incurred toward the wedding.

It stays true even if it was her who ended the engagement.

• Tyler

since the activity took place in florida, florida should have jurisdiction to file the claim, but they probably wouldn't be able to enforce a judgement. you may need to file in new York.

• Mark

Yes. Unlike a wedding ring, an engagement ring is sort of like a "deposit". It's not "hers" at all.