Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsFriends · 5 months ago

My freind has been demoted at work and Ive been promoted, how can I gradually end the friendship without it being painful and obvious?

I work for a high end public relations company and consequently, the image the staff presents to the client is very important. Becauae of this, all female staff are required to have their weight recorded every month. If someone gains weight two months in a row, they get a warning. If they put on weight three months in a row, they get demoted to photocopying or the mail room.

Anyway my freind at work has had a painful split with her boyfriend which has resulted in her binging on lots of comfort food and she has put on 3 stone. Despite me warning her, she continued to eat and eat and now shes been demoted to the mail room where no clients will see how fat shes become.

On the other hand, ive been living very healthy and have lost lots of weight and have been promoted and now have a corner office with a gorgeous view. When my friend comes to see me, i worry that shes secretly jealous of my corner office and all of the lithe attractive people hanging around the water cooler. How can I end the friendship?

• Alan H

If you want to end things because of that, you are hardly a friend

She will be better off withoit you

Just think it through....you may think better

• Good

>> "...how can I gradually end the friendship without it being painful and obvious?"

You can't. Just be direct and get it over with. She'll heal faster and that will be the

most humane way to deal with it. It's like pulling a bandage off a wound quickly

rather than slowly.

This makes the rest of us wonder just what kind of person you really are.

.

• denise

Why end the friendship? A true friend would stand by her and help her if she's been having a bad time of it, Perhaps you could have healthy lunches together and/or do some exercise together, a 'run' in the park would be nice with someone for company.

• steve

Don't believe you.

Any such action by any employer would be illegal.

Even if this was real why do you need to end your friendship with the other person?

This is complete bull **** and not worthy of further consideration.

• susan

Don't talk nonsense.

If you're measuring your weight in stones it's likely you live in the UK where workplace discrimination over weight isn't legal. Your friend has a great lawsuit against this employer. Perhaps you'll feel less superior when she's sitting home with a million pound settlement and you're still having to starve yourself to keep a job.

• Lili

Surely you see this is a troll.

i wouldnt end the friendship over that, i would work elsewhere if theyre going to treat people like that

Send her an email stating what you have written here that should help.

• Cara

Definite troll.

• Sandy

I call B.S.

There is absolutely NO WAY a company would participate in "fat shaming", especially if it pertained only to "female staff'.

They would be open to a lawsuit and it simply would not happen.

• Nickname

Terminology is coined by a person or persons, if it is a widely accepted expression then its not coined unless you know the author