Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceCredit · 6 months ago

How likely is it that a debt collector will attempt to sue you?

I have a long overdue credit card bill of around $2,200 that just recently got sent to a collection agency...I read online that there’s the possibility of the collection agency suing me. I’m wondering how likely this actually is. Taking into consideration the total amount of my debt and the fact that prior to it being sent to the agency, there were numerous late payments on it (at least 12).

Im also wondering what the worst thing that can happen to me is if I continue to not make payments. My financial situation is ****** right now and I don’t see myself being able to make any substantial payments anytime soon. I also have an overdue hospital bill and a parking ticket; what if I can’t pay those off anytime soon?

That depends on whether you speak with them and set up a payment plan or ignore them. I had a situation where I wound up in the emergency room three times in a short period, and on the last trip in was sent by ambulance to a hospital in Texas even though I had a driver to take me there, so you can imagine I had a high bill when they finally got me fixed.

Although they were not too cooperative in the beginning, they finally agreed to $68 a month payment.

(Your total is lower then mine was.)

• Judy

Very likely.......................

• In

Pay the parking ticket first. If you don't pay your license can be suspended and then how will you get to work to make money to pay the other bills? Make whatever payments you can to the hospital and credit card, but keep in mind that the interest on the card is still accruing, so I would advise paying that down as soon as possible.

Very likely. That's how they work. They don't play games.

You now have to make payments to the agency. They can sue you, but if they have money coming in, they may hold off.

very likely. this is how they make money - they buy unpaid bills cheap and then either collect the payments or sue.

Unlikely if you have paid in the last few months. Unlikely if you do not have a full time job.

Probably the best thing you can do is to just pay something regularly. Credit card debt takes priority over medical debt.

Never pay medical bills. They don't affect your credit rating. Also philosophically speaking no one should have to pay for health care. As far as the other stuff I'm pretty sure they'd be ecstatic if you offered to pay them $50 a month.

He can take you to small claims court at minimal expense. If you have not paid on the debt for two years then just ignore it now. If you pay even a dime now you admit the debt and the time they have to collect it resets.