Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Home & GardenMaintenance & Repairs · 5 months ago

Is it possible to pry off and replace the 8" (non-pneumatic) tire on a lawn mower?

I could cut off the old tire, but where would I get a replacement? And how would I get it on the plastic hub? I wonder if anyone knows how to do this?

I don't seem to be able to buy a replacement wheel.

At last, after scrolling many pages I have found what looks like what I need. (I do not have model number of mower.) $26 or $48 if I buy two. Only trouble is, the mower only costs $35. I am going to look for a parts machine before I spring for it.

My epoxy repair is already breaking down after two days use. Very rough usage. Thanks for all answrs.

Bought the wheels for $50 and installed same with ease. My new wheels have great treads, I could later replace the front ones which could be cheap generic since no prolusion involved.

• Edwena

You buy a new tire that includes the wheel. The easy way is to order it by the part number for that lawn mower and have it delivered by UPS. Brand, model number, should be on an I.D. plate on the mower you can find the part number on the internet with that information. If that does work, take the complete wheel off the mower and to the local stores and find an exact replacement.

• Lv 7

I've got it pretty good with solid epoxy but not fancy.

You can take it off, you can't buy a new one or put it on, so why try? Just buy the replacement wheel with a new tire on it.

• In

You replace the whole wheel, not just the tire. Pop the cap off the wheel and remove the cotter pin.

Normally you need to replace it with the wheel, if it is self propelled you need to order specific to your mower https://amzn.to/2XVn8X9 . It is a lot easier to order one if you still have the owners manual/parts list, but you can normally download that if needed.

Every mower is different. Go to a bicycle repair shop as many of them also fix lawn mowers too...a backyarder is fine . Chances are your lawnmower wheel is held on with one nut. They should have or know of where to get a replacement wheel for it for cheap, or one is kicking around for even cheaper. So easy it hurts.

You won't be able to do that, it's done as a factory process which you can't emulate. As others say, buy a new wheel complete with tire. There are many sources.

Forget prying off and replacing the tire on a plastic rim they're made to be thrown away you can go to the local home Depot or Lowe's or the agg supply store and get the entire replacement wheel with the plastic hubs way cheaper then you can go to somebody that has a hydraulic press and attempt to press the wheel off of plastic hub which is probably going to break.

You can get the whole thing from tractor supply company. They're a national chain with stores everywhere or you can order online.

HDepot and similar stores sell such tires. you may have to order it online. the wholetire and hub come off together

Source(s): grampa

I have seen plastic wheels with the tire on them sold at hardware stores