Is my AC broken?

Hi, when I dialed down the temperature on my house AC controller, nothing happened. The fan is not turning. No click. Just nothing. Does this mean my AC is broken? Is it the compressor, or something else I can address myself?

Check your breaker box, but beware that if you A/C shuts down again, leave it alone and call for maintenance. Good Luck!

Check the system to see if there is power. Might be a tripped circuit breaker.

Yes, I think this problem occurs due to something wrong in your compressor. You need to do it check with professional.

what you can fix ... check the breaker box. there is also a disconnect near the indoor unit which is a breaker in some houses. check that too. If toggling those breakers on and off does not restart the system, you need a handyman or a/c technician

Source(s): grampa
  • Carson

Check for a tripped circuit breaker. Turn it off then on.

Turn the thermostat up to 80. Make sure cool is on, auto on.

Turn the thermostat down to 65. Did you hear it "click". Is it coo

If no air from vent:

turn thermostat to FAN.

Is the fan running, blowing air

If yes check to see if it is a.c. cold or just blowing air. Your thermostat is bad.

If it is blowing air then it probably is a relay outside in the compressor.

• CB

It is either broken or the switch was set to off. Unless you have a very good volt/ohm meter and know how to use it and understand the dangers of a 240volt system then it is not something you can do yourself.

• marty

Have you checked to make sure there is power to it? It may have it's own circuit breaker.

• Henry

AOC's brain is not actually broken.

It will try to maintain the temperature you set on the thermostat. If the ambient temperature is below the the set temperature it wont turn on. If the ambient temperature is above the thermostat setting temp and it doesn't turn on that means something is pooched. Can't really diagnose the exact problem for you as it could be a lot of things.