Jeff asked in SportsFootball (American) · 5 months ago

Should I join my high school football team?

I am 15 years old and going to be a Sophomore. My height is 5' 5", and my weight is 120 Ibs. I am very interested in playing football. Although, I have never played a sport ever in my life. Should I consider playing? Would I need to start working out before tryouts start? I would love to play before I graduate high school.

you should talk to the football coach and ask him if youre qualified and what you should do to be able to play on the team

Go for it man!

If I were you I would hit the gym before the tryouts to try and out on some muscle mas, and if you have never played football before then try and watch some games to get to know the game, and watching YouTube tutorials on the basics like catching and tackling can’t do any damage either! Being on the smaller side you would most likely be a wide receiver or a defensive back ( cornerback and safeties), so work on your hands and acceleration aswell.

• DEBS

The only reason to not try something you are interested in is the fear of failure. If you don't care about that, which you really shouldn't, then there is no reason not to.

Yes, with any sport you should not depend on the first day of tryouts/practice to get you in shape. You're already behind not having experience in football or sports in general.

Practice starts very soon, if it hasn't already. Contact the coach now if you really want to play. Don't listen to pasted advice for a position your team may not even use. (But if you do like #2's pasted pablum please be sure to print it out and take it to your coach. Tell him where you got it and who it's from) Your coach will assign positions on offense and defense for you. He knows where you have the best chance of helping your team.

There will be players who've already played two seasons who will probably start out ahead of you. Don't worry about that because you have three years to catch up.

What concerns me the most is that you're asking strangers on the internet if you should play. If you aren't willing to commit to the entire season do not go out. All you will do is waste your and your coaches' time while taking up practice reps that should go to someone who's more into it.

• Cu Tie

Yes, I highly encourage you to join your high school football team this season. It will still not (yet) be too late for you to start playing football.

Based on your height and weight, I believe that the best fit for you is at free safety. For your age, you have the ideal size for a high school free safety.

My best advice for you is to work hard and perform very well in practice every day. In addition, what you need to do this summer (and every offseason) is eat healthy, exercise by doing weight lifting, and either jogging or going for a long run every day. If you do these things, you will get faster, stronger, and into better shape, which will greatly improve your chances of becoming a successful, top notch free safety in high school football, who could go on to play college football.

By the way, your chances of playing college football depend on your performance in football during your sophomore, junior, and especially senior, years of high school. If you perform very well in football during your final 3 years of high school, you will greatly improve your chances of getting recruited to play for a college football program in the future.

• Blocking Back

They might not even use a free safety in his school's defense.

Try to get yourself a little fit and try out. You might suck and not make it and that okay! Then you can ask the coach what you should work on for next years tryouts. If you're good enough, you'll make the team. Good luck