Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Home & GardenDecorating & Remodeling · 5 months ago

Is it possible to fix a piece of furniture made of wood that got wet?

My mom took my furniture i got for my apartment and covered it with a tarp and duck tape and left it outside in our driveway close to the backyard because she didnt want it in the house (but didnt let me take it to my apartment right away either... i dont know why)

Anyways, the tarp broke and the furniture got wet from the rain. The shelfs are still good, but the back kind of broke off and started rolling. My intention was to sand it and paint it. I am not sure i know how to fix this. The back was put on with nails i think. I saw nails in the back

This piece is made with wood. Are there ways to fix this? It looks like a china cabinet but doesnt have any doors on it.

• Jrbott

Remove the back and set aside for now.

Measure the area the original back was installed in. ie. 2’ x’5’

Also, measure the thickness of the back. ie. 1/4 “ 3/4” etc

Take those measurements to a lumber yard and ask them to cut you a new piece of plywood.

Install the new piece using screws that are long enough to go through the back and into the cabinet at least 1/2 “.

Screw the back onto the cabinet spacing your screws about 8 to 10 inches apart.

You may want to sand and paint everything first before putting the back on.

If your unsure of your measurements take the old back with you to the store. The lumber yard folks should help you deciding what size screws to use.

Most solid wood has a finish on it which will help it resist taking in too much moisture when it is being doused. (If it is veneered that is a different matter as the glue may fail.) Let it dry naturally. The back is almost certainly a manufactured board that you may have to renew if it disintegrates.

• Lv 7

use metal braces to fix broken wood.

if it can't be done, then have her take it back.

it's her fault it got like that.

Dry indoorz way from heat which will buckle it .

Take off the back.

When it iz dried out, zcrew bracket at each corner.to ztengthen.

Zand and paint it.(I like to reztore ztuff with duck egg blue flat finizh - 2 coatz.)

Cool zhelving.

*Plz excuze `z`..A p.c.glitch.

• Snezzy

Sometimes you can refinish real wood. Unfortunately a lot of furniture is now made of sawdust that's compressed with glue. When it dies it's dead.

i would ask your rnorn to fix it since she left it there

Not really. Wood tends to separate when wet and looses its coherency. So it depends on how bad, and even the shelves could still warp. You could run it by a professional refinisher--they may recommend a new backing etc. or tell you its its not worth the cost.

Go away my friend please