Did you know electric cars have been around (and the technology for it) since almost the beginning of automotive history?

That's a 1911 (more than one century) Detroit Electric model. I'm sure the technology need it to improve (like any other technology from a century ago), but somehow we were led to believe it was never there, that electric cars are still something out of this World, weren't we?

Attachment image

13 Answers

Relevance
  • 5 months ago
    Best answer

With gasoline that was probably around 10 cents a gallon, electric cars were too much hassle with all the recharging needed.

• Jay P
    Lv 7
    5 months ago

Yes, I did know that. Did you know that electric powered vehicles outsold gasoline vehicles briefly in the US in 1899 and 1900?

• David
    Lv 5
    5 months ago

Yes I did, thank you very much.

• 5 months ago

Yes I have known that

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • F
    Lv 6
    5 months ago

Electric motors have been around as you say for over 100 years and are far superior to gas and diesel engines.Just look at Japan's bukllet trains or France's TGV. The problem is battery technology lagged far behind and still does, making electric cars generally not as useful as ICE powered cars.

• arther
    Lv 4
    5 months ago

I think the wiki about these cars is crap. If they could pull 340k's between charges why didn't they become popular? Why do old people tell so much bullshit?

• 5 months ago

A bunch of six volt lead acid batteries giving off H2 gas was the immediate downfall of that idea.

• Anonymous
    5 months ago

Yes, I knew that. Did you know that ''Did you know..'" questions are a violation of forum rules because they are not knowledge-seeking and are considered a type of chat?

FAIL. Question reported

• Victor
      Lv 6
      5 months agoReport

I did. But it was pertinent information to share. Much more pertinent than most of the retarded questions here. So give it a break YA Nazi.

• Mark
    Lv 7
    5 months ago

Longer than that, actually, but yes, I did know that. People also think "front loading washing machines" are "new". THEY'VE been around since 1937.

• 5 months ago

Actually since about the 1820s.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.