Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceCredit · 5 months ago

Credit card question?

Hello! So my mom just told me she opened up a credit card under my name because she wants to help build my credit. Thing is she asks me for money and is most likely not going to give me the card. I am only 19 years old and she said that she managed to open the account using only my full name and date of birth because she supposedly does not have my social security information. Is it even possible to open an account with only that information? And can’t she just add me to her credit card she has right now if she really wanted to help me with my credit? I don’t see a reason she would have to get another credit card under my name.

Edit: she said it was going to be in my name but under her account. What does this mean? And I checked credit karma and there is nothing on there so I think that’s a good start but it says most companies send their credit reports every month

Based from the responses I’m guessing she only opened a credit card in her account. I guess I only found it kinda weird that she decided to put it in my name lol thanks everyone! I will continue checking credit karma to make sure my credit is okay but I don’t think I have anything to worry about as of now. Sorry if this question was dumb, I just don’t understand credit yet as I have not applied for a loan or credit card. So I didn’t want my credit ruined at a young age

Sorry dear you have the power to cancel the card and it could be considered fraud and possibly identify theft.

No one is giving a credit card out with out an SSN. She has your SSN, it's almost impossible she would have had custody of you all those years and not had to have one.

• Shay

First of all, your mother probably does have your social security number because she would have needed it to claim you on her tax returns in the past. She would only need to look at a past tax return form to find your social security number.

Next, it would be completely illegal for your mother to open a card in just your name.

If your mother opened a card in her name but then added you to the card, (or if she added you to a card that she already has) that is legal but does nothing for your credit score. Being a "user" on someone else's card will never show up on your credit report. She does not need your permission to add you as a "user" on her card. You are not responsible for the credit card when you have been added as a "user". It will never show up on your credit reports or on your credit score because you are not actually responsible for the card or the bill. Your mother has just informed her card company that she gives you permission to use her account.

It was nice of your mother to think that might actually help you - but it really does nothing at all because it is not actually a "joint" account.

• Jessica5 months agoReport

A lot of credit card companies and banks DO list their customers authorized users accounts on their credit report which in turn does help build their credit. However, if it didn't ask for OP's SSN when their mother did so, then it is unlikely it will post.

• Judy

no she'd need your ss#. es she could add you to her card.

She's lying. To open in your name they have to have your social. Adding you to her card doesn't help your credit since you would only be an authorized user.

If Credit Karma is clear...she added you as a user to her account more than likely. Otherwise, there would have been a note on your credit report.

Why does she not have your SS information though?

I think your mom is lying about not knowing your social security number. How could she not know.

You cannot get a card without the SSN.

If I were you I would check the credit score to see if she did apply for a card under your name. If you don’t report it, it could ruin your credit score and if you knew about it and don’t report it, you’ll be responsible for the charges. Why does your mom need to open the card for you under your name unless she plans on doing something nefarious.

• ele5 months agoReport

Wanna Check your credit score for FREE!! Hurry....

Click here Get your Credit Report online in just 2 minutes with IndiaLends absolutely Free

She knows your social security number and she would have needed it to get the card.

• ele5 months agoReport

Looks like you mom could ruin your credit with a bogus credit card. If you know the company, do what you can to cancel the card.

• ele5 months agoReport

If she did that without permission its considered fraud or even borderline identity theft