Colette asked in PetsRodents · 5 months ago

My hamster is climbing on the bars. The cage is very tall and I’m worried he is getting hurt. I can’t get a new cage for him though.Plz help?

Favorite Answer

Oddly enough, because of aerodynamics, your hamster can probably fall farther than you can without getting hurt. Just make sure he has some soft bedding to fall on, and he should be just fine, unless the cage is, like, 6 feet tall or something.

As long as your hamster is falling on a good layer of bedding it should be okay. Bin cages are very affordable and easy to make though as Bob said. Go to walmart and find one that's at least 450sq in of floor space (length x width). I got a 600ish sq in cage for my dwarf for $10 and a 860sq in cage for my syrian for $20. Just cut the plastic top off and replace it with wire mesh or drill a bunch of holes in the top. I did the holes because I'm not that crafty, and both of them are breathing just fine with it. Good luck!

If your hamster is climbing the bars it means he is unhappy and the cage is too small. Consider a diy bincage.

Over 2foot to a hard surface you might make changes for, otherwise hardly any concern. Even just a fleece floor, that is not so high to injure your hammie

Escape is what you need to be careful of.

Nah don't sweat it your hamster will be fine they do that all the time, that's just what they do, the only thing you should be worried about for the most part is leaving the cage unlocked for it to get out.

Its a hamster who the hell cares