At the end of the day Republicans will line up behind Trump. Will Democrats do the same with the DNC candidate regardless who it is?

In 2016 many liberals stayed home on election day because Hillary didn't inspire them to vote.

But Republicans held their nose and voted for Trump even if they had a problem with his rhetoric.

If Democrats hope to beat Trump next year they'll have to get past party divisions. They may have to vote for a candidate who doesn't perfectly represent their progressive views.

Do you think Democrats will do this?

I think you're misunderestimating the degree to which Republicans will blindly vote for Trump simply because he has an (R) after his name on the ballot. Some will, granted. But his presidency has been a unifying factor for the Democrats and a destabilizing one for many Republicans, especially those who aren't hypocrites regarding the deficit and responsible government spending.

Trump's best strategy, I think, is to distract from the Mueller report, corruption within his administration, various international gaffes and cloudy long term economic projections and claim responsibility for the current economic success we're enjoying and of the best ways to do this for him and his supporters seems to be using the "bully pulpit" to try and put a spotlight on any disagreement within the Democratic caucus. Meanwhile Republicans who can't stomach the Retrumplican party are being actively primaried or retiring/switching parties. For people who watch more than Fox News it seems a little desperate.

I think you're right though. The choice ultimately will be Trump or Not Trump and I think "Not Trump" is going to make a compelling case this time around and NO ONE is going think they're sure to win no matter how ridiculous NOT Not Trump acts and campaigns. Fool us once....won't get fooled again!!

Not likely. Too many Democrats have too much personal integrity to support a politician that is a corrupt liar.

Hillary anyone?

• RICK

True but Republicans will vote for any lying criminal

• Jeff D

Of course Democrats will line up for their candidate. But there's a third group that you're overlooking--the independents (who account for about a third of the electorate). The partisans will almost all vote for their candidate (whether they have to hold their nose or not), but it's the independents who will usually decide the outcome.

A president's re-election campaign is always about the president. The other party presents an alternative, but you're really either voting for the current president to have a second term or not.

I will stick my neck out and predict that by the time November 2020 comes around, a lot of people will be sick and tired of Trump and his attention-getting antics. Of course his base loves him no matter what, but they're not enough for him to win. He won by very narrow margins in several important states and I think he's turned off enough independents to cancel that advantage.

I don't think it even matters that much who the Dems put up against him. The choice is Trump or Not Trump. And I think Not Trump will win.

All measures of enthusiasm among the voters in the two major party shows that the Democrats are practically falling over each other for the chance to vote Trump out.

Oh look.

Hillary derangement syndrome yet again.

Remember, she received more vote than Trump did. ;)

• Sherry

She is not now and will never be the president. ;)

nope, as each dem candidate trashes the other candidates, there's bound to be lasting resentments ..............................

TRUMP 2020 !!

They are great at fighting themselves. The new breed of Democrat just guarantees more-in-fighting (and lots more lost elections).

Yay Democrats.

yeah both sides are basically the same hypocrites

Doubtful,....with the hate and rhetoric from the democrat party, they don't stand a chance.

• Sfancik

You think Americans are fed up with hateful rhetoric and that's work against the Democrats?? I don't know, I think you should be hoping they want more.