ENT ordered an MRI and now they are referring me to a neurologist. Appt. on 8/8/19 Can someone help me understand the severity of my MRI?

Findings: Partially empty sella, borderline dilation of the optic nerve sheaths, small pineal cyst, several spotty foci of periventricular and subcortical white matter hyperintense T2/FLAIR signal abnormality with largest area of signal abnormality within the right corona radiata.

The last time I spoke to a neurologist was for my dad when he had an aggressive giblioplastoma, we saw the neurologist ASAP after the first MRI and he was in surgery like the next morning.

They would send you to the hospital if you were in immediate danger

If they are leaving you until 8/8/18 it must not be crazy serious.

If you're scared why don't you call and ask if the guy/gal who conducted the test can explain more? I used to call the peps at the hospital to re explain things for my step mom all the time. They should want to make you feel comfortable but they may not realize what they said has scared you.

If your appointment isn't for another 3 weeks it's obviously not urgent.

• Carson

It doesn't mean anything.

The neuro consult is a follow up test to the MRI so your Dr has a more complete picture for a better diagnosis.

Be happy your Dr looks at the big picture before making a diagnosis.

Sorry, I just updated what the MRI findings were. The ENT said since it wasn't ear related that they would need to refer me. Just don't want to drive myself crazy. Since I don't have a medical background all of these "findings" are scary and lets face it, every time I look something up on the internet it goes to the worse case scenario.

Yes, the ENT who ordered it or the neurologist. CALL the ENT's office and ask WHY you are being referred. You should have had some type of follow-up when the MRI results came in to explain them.

MRIs are usually read by radiologist and the findings are presented to the treating physician in a report. That doctor, your ENT in this case, should review those with you because a non-MD can't understand the wording.

If you don't have any other option than that, it's impossible for us to tell.I had a test once and I was told to see a doctor about the results. I was scared to death. But the doctor just said the test didn't show anything. The people who ran the test weren't supposed to interpret the results- only the specialist could.

• Jocelyn5 months agoReport

Thank you. I was just hoping someone would be familiar with some of the findings I updated in my question above so help me understand what might be going on. I just wish I could get in sooner. Have a good day!