What would you do if you bought your 18 yr old niece a car and she sold it?

It was my niece, I paid $2300.00 and a year later she sold it for ONLY $400 saying it was a lemon without even saying anything to me. I would have paid to repair it. Or I would have given her the 400.

You gave it as a gift - therefore she can do as she wishes. You can also do as you wish, based on the learning you got from that.

It was her car. Was she not free to do whatever she wanted to do with it?

Were you expecting something from her as a reward for your generosity?.

Blow the beyouch off.

Obviously she took her business courses at Trump U.

She sold it for scrap metal value.

You gave it to her. She had no clue about earning money. Let her learn.

Sweet cheeks is going to WALK from now on. Not seeing another cent from you. Let her EARN her own car. She will see how hard it is to get that money together. Even for a "beater"

,Females are not into cars like guys are, so it makes no difference to her if she has it or not. It is an expense. She would rather be driven around by a bf. she is not independent. She did not ask for it, so what she did with it is her business. Their value system is out the window.

. Girls have just a different value way of thinking then guys. Very few think like guys. Easy come, easy go.

. You should have put a condition on the car...if you do not want it, let me know first.

"You learn something about females all the time"

True that she was entitled to do whatever she wanted because it was her property once you gifted it.

But at worse, she was inconsiderate in not talking to you about it . . . but probably just a clueless ditz and it never occured to her.

• audrey

I would disown her and never speak to her ever again.

A year after being driven by an unappreciative 18 year old, the car may have only been worth its weight as scrape metal. And once you gave it to her, it was hers to do with and to dispose of as she chose. If she is walking, she will learn. Love her no less, but do not buy her another

I bet she did not tell you, because she did not want to hurt you.

Also, once you give a gift, the person can do what they want with it.

I would stop buying stuff for my ignorant, unappreciative niece. However, in today's economy a $2000 car is likely a rolling repair bill.

• Erik

It really depends on the car. I had a co-worker who saw an old Mercedes on the street for $1500 and bought it. He delivered pizzas in it for more than a year, and it ran fine. Then he sold it because he bought a new Toyota.

I wouldn't buy any car for her anymore. Sounds like quite a bit of ingratitude...only you can judge that.