Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationInsurance & Registration · 5 months ago

I m a 39 year old male, never had an accident, do why am I being quoted $300/ month for basic liability insurance on a 2002 Nissan quest?

I haven t owned a car for a while, driving 18 wheelers I didn t need one. My credit score took a plunge due to a business failure. And I recently moved to the Las Vegas area. The last time I had basic liability insurance on a older car it was about $38/mo. Now I m being quoted $300!? What exactly is effecting this most?

• car253

Shop around. That is pretty high for just liability. Do you have any tickets? Points on your DMV record will count against you and raise your rates. Always, always go to traffic school. But any moving violations will make your rate higher.

Man, you're getting shafted! I live in Pennsylvania,and I pay something like $45/month for full coverage. Mind you, I hadn't driven in over ten years, so I haven't been in an accident or gotten any points on my license. Maybe you should relocate?

• don r

They just don't want your money and wish they could go out of business or something. Try a different company.

• John

Crazy. Man does nothing and is nothing. All men working together are less than that flea in you hair to this planet and to God?

God notices man when God wishes not on man's demand.

Pee on your neighbors walk you neighbors notice piss all you want in front of God until it drowns you. Is God even there?

It's a screw job. Try a different company.

Idk call your insurance people maybe.

Because it actually will cost around $300 per month for basic liability insurance on that car, that's why.

In many states, not being insured (under a personal auto policy) for a year or more can definitely affect your rates. The Las Vegas thing is also a factor, as is the Nevada thing. And while your credit score isn't a major factor, it's definitely a factor. The only time insurance companies don't use credit as a rating factor is in jurisdictions where they're prohibited by law from using it.

If one or two insurance companies are quoting really high prices, it's one or two insurance companies who charge too much. If they're all quoting high prices, it's you.

• May

Lack of being insured for " a while" ( a big, important factor) and living in Las Vegas are two big factors. Get other quotes and/or ask the quoting insurance company which factors are driving the premium up. Only then will you know for sure and you won't have to depend on strangers guesses.

• Steve5 months agoReport

I agree. Not driving for a while could put your price higher bc the insurance company doesn't want to take a chance of you getting in to an accident and they have to lose money on you. 300 is like a security deposit. It will lessen over time but look elsewhere too. LA area might raise the price 2

1. Because you haven't owned a car for a while. When a person first gets insurance after a long time without it, it's much more expensive than normally.

2. Because you have a low credit score and don't live in California.

• JetDoc

It COULD be the accident rate in the city you have moved to... Las Vegas isn't the safest city to drive in.

• Carson

You credit score and your zip code is why your insurance is high.

Shop around some more.

If you stay accident free you may get it lowered in 3-6 months.