Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureOther - Society & Culture · 5 months ago

My coworker died?

So earlier today my coworker never showed up for work. Nobody had no idea why she did a no call no show. Because it’s not like her to just not show up for work. This morning I see her picture on Facebook shared with “R.I.P., Angel. I hear it was suicide. I’m in shock in disbelief, how do I cope with this? How do I face going into work tonight ? How should I expect to see everyone of my coworkers at the restaurant I work at? She was only 21.

• steve

Go to work meet all your colleagues and have a group hug and even a group cry, Then do your Job.

After your shift have another group hug and cry.

This happened to me years ago when a girl I worked with of a similar age killed herself.

It was heart breaking and for days people just clung to each other as we didn't know how to deal with it.

Like any death time is a great healer and things will get easier.

I remember her now with fondness and what a wonderful person she was, not with regret that I didn't see what was coming and did not stop it and I know everyone else who knew her feels the same.

There was nothing we could do as we didn't know what she was going through that drove her to take her life.

i would find someone at work who also cared about her as much as you did and talk about it and process what you are feeling. this is a terrible tragedy.

Call her mom and ask her for all her clothes before anybody else does.

People will either be sad or call out.

Allow yourself to process what has happened. This person was a co-worker and while there may not have been any personal relationship, her death can still be a shock simply because you worked together. Chances are all your colleagues will find this difficult initially so would be good for you all to check in with each other, and share thoughts/feelings. Suicide can often leave many unanswered questions for those left behind, in particular for family and friends. the lesson from this can be appreciation and gratitude for your own life and those around you. One step at a time and you will be able to move forward.

• drip

Yes you will see everyone at work. You think everyone will call off!! Who works?

You are not family or even a close friends. You were co workers.

You go into work and realize the customers are not a part of this. You need to work as you normally would.

You need facts. I hear it is suicide is a rumor and should not of been posted in Facebook, that was rude and insensitive to the family.

Being young this is s Shock. You talk to your pastor/priest or rabbi. You sit down with a parent and talk it over.

You do not gossip about it at work. You do not cry at work. You do not pass on rumors at work. You do not bring the drama into work. You should encourage other young workers not to gossip or make this a drama amongst yourselves. They should talk to their own family about death and the shock they are going through.

• sarah

That is very sad why we have to be the one to help others with kind comments and loving concern. Sometimes people just feel unloved by others. Sad.

• Sparky

Wow.

I'm so sorry to hear that.

Suicide affects the many people that are left behind.

Just try to keep it together and support each other through your work shift.

• susan

It is shocking, so allow yourself the feelings. I think you should go ahead and go to work, because you and the other coworkers will want to express your shock or sadness to each other, so you might as well get this weird first day over with. It won't be a normal day at work.

Just don’t show up. But cut her some slack, she had a good reason.