UK. So my ex bought me the samsung s9 a year ago. Broke up and he's not paying anymore. What do we do with the phone, it's a contract line?

I already got myself a new phone, he has told me he cannot 'afford' to pay for the S9 anymore, i asked what will happen to the phone he said he doesn't know. I asked if I should mail it to him he said no. Ok, we've been at it for months and for my own piece of mind I dont want to use it... show more I already got myself a new phone,
he has told me he cannot 'afford' to pay for the S9 anymore, i asked what will happen to the phone he said he doesn't know.
I asked if I should mail it to him he said no.
Ok, we've been at it for months and for my own piece of mind I dont want to use it anymore.
What do I do with the phone? Wipe my data off it? How? Also. Phone company needs to be paid or something? Think it's usually 2 years? Let me know how to deal with this situation!