Is oil still good after not much use?

Is oil still good after not much use??

I changed oil almost a year ago with full synthetic and high end oil filter (K&N).

Haven’t driven much after becoming unemployed. Gas costs money so yeah.

lightly used.

(accidentally posted same question twice and can’t edit or delete the first one)

• arther
    Favorite Answer

once a year need it or not give it a good drive every so often to evaporate the moisture out of the oil maybe an Italian tune up

• SumDude

{For better or worse ... } Once a year is my pattern with a 20 y o pick-up with 66,000 miles.

Yes but start motor once a month, get it up to full temp.

I am like you, I kept oil drained out of my Chevy while I am working on it as the oil has very few miles on it. I will use it as break-in oil when finished. I wont put 3,000 on it, no.

There is no time limit on synthetic oil.

Change it every 5000 miles.

Source(s): Mitsubishi Master Tech

In the UK fully synthetic is good for 12,000 miles. I think you guys in the US are being conned from what I read.

Even lightly used oil has been contaminated with the products of combustion. All oil, synthetic or not, absorbs moisture. A car only driven on short trips or used infrequently will not get the oil hot enough long enough or often enough to burn off this moisture regularly [plus combustion itself produces water vapor] and over time acids and other corrosives will build up that can attack metal surfaces and cause corrosion and pitting of things like bearings and camshaft lobes. You cannot see this damage but it will eventually show up as accelerated engine wear. Therefore you should change the oil at least once a year regardless of what few miles you've put on it, and every 6 months if you live in a humid climate where condensation [frost and dew] forms regularly over night or in a hot climate where the average humidity is over 70 percent.

In this low-employment economy either you don't want to work very badly or you're a complete screw up. FAIL.

• Lone Wolf6 months agoReport

Really not amazing economy if all you have to offer is minimum wage BS to a over qualified-college graduate that rightfully earned to right to a high wage.

You are fine that oil will last another year.

If you are only making short trips, then once a month after running an errand try to get the vehicle up to at least 40 mph on highway for a few minutes. If that is part of your occasional driving then that is fine.

Just to note the general thinking is that driving a car for a short distance only, say 5 minutes once or twice a week, is not good as the vehicle never warms up and moisture builds up in the oil and exhaust system.

Oil change places will talk about a general breakdown (I doubt that) and moisture getting into the oil (maybe, maybe not). Similar to your case I have only been changing once a year. Unfortunately there is no way to tell wear and tear on the engine. So, how old is your vehicle? (Mine is 20 y o so I am not too concerned.) Maybe you can find a mechanic that will give you an honest answer. Unfortunately, the car guru guys Click and Clack (Mazzoli ??) brothers quit publishing their wisdom years ago.

your best bet is to ask your car mechanic

full synthetic supposed to last up to 5k

and I still have like 3k miles left if it is still good being in my car almost a year

• Lv 4

and if convenient, examine & compare it with some identical thats unused, if its milky/ waterier maybe change immediatley even if it seems clean