I'm afraid of getting diabetes, so should I eat a diabetic diet to avoid getting diabetes?

Does that make sense for me to do, or should I just eat everything in moderation instead?

7 Answers

Relevance
  • 4 months ago
    Best answer

I don't buy into all of the "it's genetic" claims. This excuse is a go-to when the medical profession can't explain something and is mostly due to a bad lifestyle.

The main thing they can't explain is the functions of water and salt in the body. The pharmaceutical companies have an influence on what is taught in medical schools and because water and salt don't fit their agenda, it isn't covered extensively enough.

600 teaching hours are spent learning the effects that pharmaceuticals have on the physiology of the body while only 6 teaching hours are devoted to nutrition (where water and salt would be covered).

Thus, water has little or no importance in the eyes of doctors and salt has been demonized.

Water and salt have a multitude of functions in the body - every function depends on them and they regulate every function. They're also necessary for the production of electrical energy in the body - a process called "hydrolysis". This electrical energy is used as a communications tool between the brain and every part of the body. It's also used to burn calories that produce energy.

When you don't drink enough water and/or don't use enough salt, this energy can't be produced efficiently, so the brain turns to sugar for most of its energy needs. At this point, it is running on almost 100% sugar, so it instructs the liver to keep pumping it out. Recent studies have shown that insulin resistance is linked to dehydration. With blood normally being 94% water, and with dehydration lowering the water volume by 8%, it thickens the blood, which hinders the effectiveness of insulin.

This overwhelms the ability of the pancreas to produce enough insulin, and the result becomes diabetes.

Eating sugar is no more hazardous as eating salt - the key is moderation. But more importantly, you have to keep your body properly hydrated using water and salt. This is the best preventative.

• ◄♦►
      Lv 5
      3 months agoReport

Gee - you condemn my answer, yet offer nothing to disprove it.

• 4 months ago

The top answer here about water and salt is nonsense. Diabetes literally means honey urine, therefore we can assume sugar is relevant to a diabetes discussion.

There are definitely risk factors for diabetes. If you avoid these things, you'll reduce your risk of getting diabetes: exercise, eat lots of plant foods, avoid processed foods (especially sugary ones!) and red meats, don't smoke, keep a healthy weight.

• 4 months ago

I’m assuming you mean type 2 here. Type 1 is an autoimmune response whereby a currently unknown environmental factor leads to your immune system ‘attacking’ your insulin cells and killing them off. Not necessarily generic and no one factor has been found to cause it.

Type 2

Genetics= poor quality insulin made by your pancreas. Pancreas has to work overtime. Pancreas gets tired. Pancreas makes less and poor quality insulin. Overtime pancreas has very poor output.

Food choices does not put you at risk of type 2 diabetes.

Being overweight leads to your body not accepting the insulin you make. Being overweight can be changed for most people. Steroid medications however are another factor and often cannot be changed.

• Lady4 months agoReport

Obviously type 2, but thanks for the great answers. Yours I would have chosen as the best if you got here sooner lol. My brother has Type 1 and he needs a new pancreas, so what you said make sense. I asked my mom about type 2 diabetes and she was all over the place with her answer.

• Shay
    Lv 7
    4 months ago

I know you picked best answer - but here is the simple truth:

Developing diabetes is NOT just about WHAT you are eating. If heredity and age are the risk factors that catch up with you, then nothing else you have done will stop it from developing anyway. If you have a history of diabetes in your family, then watching what you eat might delay it but it won't guarantee you don't develop it.

There is NO FOOD that you can avoid that will guarantee you do not get diabetes.

There is NO DIET that you can eat that will guarantee you do not get diabetes.

BTW - my husband loves salt on everything and drinks lots of water and he still developed diabetes - so I also disagree with what you picked as "best answer". Even staying hydrated and having enough salt intake will not outrun genetic issues.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 4 months ago

As there are no specific foods that cause diabetes no eating a "diabetic diet" will not help you. Also there really isnt a diabetic diet. Each diabetic is different in what foods cause a spike in their blood sugar, and no food is off limits.

• 4 months ago

eat healthy and exercise regularly and you should be fine. diabetes is often caused by an unhealthy lifestyle, so be healthy and keep a good weight. however, it can also be genetic, in which case it's probably harder to prevent

• 4 months ago

If one exercises and does not overdo the sweets, there is no way they will become diabetic if they do not have it.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.