Why have 6 gears on bikes?

My fz6 is still revvy in top

1 year ago

If it is revvy in top gear, then your clutch is slipping. Soon you will not move forward at all. You need a new clutch. Have a bike mechanic assess it for you. I can only go by what you say(guessing at what you are trying to say)...and translate it as best as I can into mechanical language.

• fuzzy
    1 year ago

Depends on the state of tune of the engine. Highly tuned engines have a comparitively narrow power band & need more gears to keep the engine in it.Lower tuned engines have a wider power band & can get away with fewer gears. Extreme case the Suzuki 50 cc Grand Prix bike which had a 14 speed gearbox!

• 1 year ago

I Love 6 speeds. The VStar and old Honda Four, only 5. Great for in town, less shifting, but Kinda "buzzy" on the freeway. Heck, I remember only 4 on my older Triumphs and Baby Hondas. 3 on my WLA. thought 5 on my '78 Bonnevile was Cool.

My Harley mutters at 80 in 6th. I averaged 46 MPH on way home from Mormon Lake at 80 .

I saw a Heritage Softail for only $6900, but, an '05 with only 5 speeds. 88 inch engine, too, not enuff. No....

1 year ago

It Saves Fuel and 5 gears are not enough

• Fred
    1 year ago

Race regulations only allow 6 different gears. The larger percentage of industry follows suit.

Why 6 gears? It depends on what you ride, the way you ride, and the performance you demand out of the bike.

• 1 year ago

because 5 wasn't enough

1 year ago

I find myself wishing for another gear on my Fazer 1000 sometimes, so I can appreciate your frustration. Try changing the rear cog with one less tooth. That will alleviate the top end problem but you'll sacrifice acceleration. I don't think it will be drastic, however.

• 1 year ago

To confuse riders, it's that easy.

6th gear is like over-drive, nice for cruising down the highway at lower RPM but worthless for power.

Source(s): Riding/racing for 55+ yrs.
  • 1 year ago

Gears allow the revs to be kept in the usable torque range for a given engine. You need six on a FZ6; those motors are relatively gutless and if you want to make swift progress you have to use the revs and 'box. The gearbox doesn't make an engine less buzzy; it is what it is. The job of the gearbox is to allow the rider to make best use of the engine's power (torque) characteristics