How / where should I use the #-sign?

I notice many web-posts, links, web-etc. that use "the pound sign" #.

How should I use this web-shorthand across my ideas / printed notes, etc?

I realize that a # identifies the following text as Internet-linked. <-Why is a note "click here" not included with each-such link where it is used?

• Chris

Hashtag enabled sites such as twitter look for words starting with # and turn them into links.

Why would they add "click here" if the word has a different color and turns the mouse arrow into a pointer when you hover over it? It's readily identifiable as a link.

Anyway, the link points to the website itself and will open search results for the hashtag. Not sure what the equivalent would be in the context of printed notes...?

• Lv 7

#, as you are describing it, is called "hashtag", or simply "tagging".

you see, when you post a video or photo, they do not contain words, just pictures.

the # sign is used to "tag" them with key words used or applying to the pictures or video.

so a scene with Santa giving kids presents might be tagged #Christmas2018 or #Santa or #presents, etc. they may also tag the names of people in the video or photos.

alternately, it may be used on services like Facebook or Twitter when the post is ABOUT something, but does NOT use the hashtag words IN the post. so a post about Trump might be tagged #Trump or #DonaldT or #Drumpf (by his haters).

then, people who post similar statements might use the same tag, and you can find like-minded people easily.

• Matt

When it is used in that way it is called a hashtag, it functions as a category link, connecting uses of the same hashtag, it is important to note that there are no spaces. #itsall1wordlikethis as an example. It started on twitter i believe

• Bill

Some web sites such as Twitter make it easier to search for words beginning with #.