Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Home & GardenDo It Yourself (DIY) · 5 months ago

Tile a homemade shower stall? I just bought a house and the inspector told me that the homemade shower will need to be replaced. Can i?

Favorite Answer

Yeah, but you need to get an expert plumber to install the rubber waterproofing membrane and the drain first. Then you can do the rest yourself

• In

You already bought the house so you don't HAVE to do anything. The purpose of having a home inspection is to find any defect BEFORE you buy so you are aware of the defects and can negotiate for a lower price or to have the owner repair. If you need to replace the shower then consider prefab for ease of installation.

NO. The inspector stated the homemade shower stall MUST be REPLACED - NOT tile over it!

I have that . Built in the 70's meaning NO WATER RESISTANT DRYWALL. So ceramic tile on regular drywall. On the floor we did not have a pan but had concrete and sand mix to a light moist texture like cookie dough. which was spread around the drain with a cement trowel and just smoothed out. Let dry for a week. It was rock hard Then laid down 1x1" tile squares on a 12"square sheet and grouted that down onto the cement. Later filled in the spaces with tile grout and smoothed that out and it has been in service for 40 years without a problem.

The ceramic tile is the water resistance and is all you will ever need when you do a good job. I am just a painter...and I did all the work.

Mind you today it is just as cheap to buy a metal shower stall to do it faster.

So I question why the house inspector said to redo the shower. Many of those guys know squat.

• John

You asked several things. I'll just stress the most important thing. If you, an amateur, just re-tile a bad shower thinking it will fix it, you will still have a bad shower and you'll be out a week's work and $1000 for nothing. Start with the basics and check the plumbing and the base shower system (pan, walls, sealant in general) before you do anything else.

That depends on whether or not you know what you are doing and have the tools. It requires specific knowledge about installing showers because of the risk of leaks that could require the job to be completely re-done.

Can I what? Do the work yourself, hire it done, etc.? Of course it can be replaced.

• Sandy

yes you have to take it down to the rafters, then install that waterproof drywall, paint that pink waterproof stuff in the joints and then tile over it. easy, peasy! you'll probably need a new shower pan too.