I think I found a very tiny pearl in a mussel?

I recently ate a mussel. Almost broke my tooth with an unexpected thing in it. It’s the colour of a pearl. It’s not a perfect circle and it’s 0.1 cm big (so very tiny). Is it a pearl or is it something else?

10 Answers

Relevance
  • 4 months ago

It was a pearl! Lucky you!

• Snoopy
    Lv 5
    5 months ago

That's lucky as it's quite expensive.

• Anonymous
    5 months ago

You're lucky! I always wanted to find a pearl while eating mussels, oysters, & clams.

• jessica4 months agoReport

I’m unlucky. I went to put it somewhere safe in my room and dropped it. Spent days looking

• Joe
    Lv 5
    5 months ago

Nice job !! That is good luck in any culture !!!! Hang onto it. Give it to your kids. Maybe see if a jeweler can put it in a ling or something....very nice !

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • james
    Lv 7
    5 months ago

Yes. Use to have a small jar full of fresh water pearls. Back when clam shells brought $200 a ton. In the late 60s. Out of all them there was only one. A light pink one tear drop shaped I had made into a pendent for my Mom.

• Anonymous
    5 months ago

Go have it checked to see if it is a pearl, go to a person that does diamonds

• 5 months ago

It's a pearl .

• 5 months ago

Very likely a pearl. Many of the bi-valves produce pearl-like objects when they are injured or irritated inside the shell.

In fact you can buy fresh-water pearls produced by some fresh-water clams. They don't have nearly the quality of your normal salt-water oyster produces, but as costume jewelry they're fine.

• ...Show all comments
    • oldprof
      Lv 7
      5 months agoReport

OK, when I said inside the shell I meant on the inside of the mussel, not outside its shell. When its flesh is irritated or injured, it secrets a fluid that forms the pearl. And yes you'd find it in the meat.

• Gabe
    Lv 6
    5 months ago

Don't be a thief. Let the mussel keep it's hard earned pearl.

• jessica5 months agoReport

I brought the mussel you imbecile. From a store. The ones I brought were already put out of its shell.

• Mark
    Lv 7
    5 months ago

It probably WAS a pearl. Mussels grow them too, but not as splendidly as oysters do.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.