How would i be able to change DNA?

I understand genetic engineers are able to alter strands in dna in order to get rid if undesirable traits. Does this mean I should get a very powerful microscope, take a few of my cells and start fooling around with the dna strands until i get better results? How would a genetic engineer do this? Would i need to find a substance that can erase strands?

I would like to change from being a mammal into a reptile. I would also like to grow wings like a dragon, have teeth that are constantly growing like a shark and have gills. I would also like to reproduce like bacteria. I can imagine splitting into two or three replicas of myself depending on whether i am feeling cancerous that day.

The simple answer is, yes (as has already been pointed out by others).

However, to expand upon what some people have said, the more complicated answer is that it depends upon what you mean by modify. As others have pointed out, if you're talking about humans, we don't currently have the technology to modify the DNA of all cells concomitantly. For that matter, we can't to my knowledge do it for any macroscopic multicellular organism. Nor do I suspect would we probably want to do that, not without a much better grasp on biology then we currently have.

However, there are numerous technologies available for modifying DNA in a more targeted fashion. Others have pointed out engineered nucleases, enzymes that cut DNA but whose target we can control, as key technology for genome engineering. They are especially useful in what is called gene targeting, or the modification of an endogenous gene (normally occurring gene in the organism) through homologous recombination (others have provided decent references).

There is another standard method of gene-therapy/genome engineering which hasn't been touched on as much, which is the use of retroviruses to permanently modify a host’s genome. Basically because retroviruses as a part of their live-cycle naturally use their own genetic material, in this case RNA, to modify whatever it is they infect by converting it into double stranded DNA and stably integrating into the host genome, we have used them to integrate whatever sequence we're interested in. Of course, it should be noted that this method is mostly a delivery vector, so it could be used in conjunction with engineered nuclease methods, but you can also just insert a gene of some sort.

• D g

Take a lot of xrays

Some over exposure to sun can turn your skin scaly

• In

Exposure to large doses of radiation or toxic chemicals can cause genetic changes but they are rarely beneficial.

Try smoking heavily.

• Alucard

Somehow a song from The Wizard of Oz just came into my head and I can picture this guy singing If I Only Had a Brain

Use CRISPR technology.

• Alucard

They say if you eat 6 Tide detergent pods in 4 hours your DNA will change and it will match that of the tidy bowl man

• Zirp

Does this mean I should get a very powerful microscope, take a few of my cells and start fooling around with the dna strands until i get better results?

No, it's more complicated than that

@update 2: no. The only time you can change a person's DNA in any useful way is when that person is still a zygote

• Cowboy

You can't, you are who you are.

• marty

Studies show that meditation and mindfulness can actually change DNA. It's really more about turning certain genes on or off. Changing to a vegan diet can also change DNA. DNA also changes by mutation and changes with age and repeatedly making copies of itself.

What do you mean?😹

• David

A blood transfusion might help might help but hardly likely because your DNA is yours for life.