Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceCareers & EmploymentLaw & Legal · 5 months ago

Is it common for a file clerk to not have a workstation?

I am a file clerk at a law firm, and am on my feet 24-7 because I don’t have a desk, computer or phone. Therefore, the only way I can receive an e-mail is if someone hands me a printout of any e-mail that concerns me. Is this the norm, or should I request a workstation?

• Katie

No very uncommon. I used to work in a post room. The computer I had access was on a desk that had wheels on, but no chair. They had to a put a computer and printer in the post room, so staff could alert me (and anyone else in the room) of a large mailing or a bulky package that needed collecting/delivery.

File clerk's don't get emails. Just like the copy person in the copy room. It would be rare, very rare, and not pertinent to your job. File clerk jobs would have a desk if they did work other than just filing, which some do. If your job is only filing, then you don't need a desk or a phone or a computer. You go from station to station, pick up the filing, put it on the cart, and you take it to the file room and stand by the files, taking from the cart and filing into the files. The only thing you would need a desk for would be to sit with your feet up, on the desk, sitting back, relaxing with your hands behind your neck. Is that what you want to do, because law firms don't pay people to do that. Some file clerk jobs are "filing only", which it sounds like your is. Other file clerk jobs require index updating (litigation) and other work where you would need a desk to do the job. That is not the job you have, so stop complaining. You don't need a phone. You don't have clients who need to contact you. You aren't scheduling appointments, you aren't co-ordinating anything judicial. Jobs are different in each law firm. Even paralegals - not every job is just like another.

Source(s): Certified Paralegal, with 25+ years' experience.
    • A Hunch

Review my updated answer which explains have networked computers function.

They are incredibly cheap a*s**.

Report the person who was rude to you I did but it needs your report too.

Yes, and you have asked this before. STOP IT.

You seem to think your job is sitting on your butt 8 hours a day. Its not. You are there to work.

If you only need a workstation to check email, than you don't need a work station.

You need to ask the tech support at your company how you access your webmail or log into the network from any computer.

In response to the comments:

That will get him fired. You don't just move in on someone else's computer - EVER.

babyboomer1001 · 8 hours ago

Babyboomer, Either you work in a very small office or you haven't been in the workforce for many years.

When you are connected to a network and use the "log in as a different user" any computer it means you are logged into this computer as "you" -- you see your computer (just like if you were at your desk), not any information from the person who "owns" the computer. .

- this is used often in a business setting. Most common times to use it conference rooms where you have to use the conference room computer, during collaboration with another employee at their desk, during classroom style training, you can log in "your computer" and work as "you", when your computer isn't working, or like this situation where you have some employees not assigned to their own work station.

- You are correct, you don't randomly sit down at someone's desk and change the user of the computer. But in a case like the poster, there will be a prearranged computer(s) for her to use. Maybe there is one in the lunch room, the mailing room, the receptionist, a place in IT, or a desk that is currently vacant.

• Stoo

Or a phone. There's plenty of people who get email on their phones, you know.

• Henry

I don't that that's happening.