Are websites designed first before their coded?

I get there are web designers and web developers. However, would somebody wanting to create a website design their website on Photoshop or whatever first then pass this on to a programmer to implement the HTML/CSS/JS/PHP Etc?

Or would they simply just use a text editor to build their website from scratch? - What is the easiest way?

• keerok
    Favorite Answer

You can do it that way then ask the website creator to make it look that way or you can type the code and modify as you go along to get the look that feels right to you.

Most of my students go with look first concentrating on the background and layout before putting in the content. The few that work on the content first and worry about the looks later then to be the smarter and more serious types.

Sometimes I’ll open Adobe XD but sometimes I’ll just open Dribbble and search ‘modern flat ui’ or ‘social media’ etc depending on what I want to make.

Occasionally I’ll remake a website I find to learn new css tricks like recently I’ve been using ::before and ::after a lot after seeing a Dribbble user using them so nicely!

• Dick

Generally, I d think that most folks would have a concept at least of content but maybe not the layout. As you develop the concept and what that entails, you ll probably have visions of the juxtaposition of the different or similar items. Initial concepts of web pages are usually a work in progress until the design is complete and it doesn t make much sense to change it any more. So few pages are laid out conceptually and finalized all in that first effort.

• John

I picture in my mind what I want and then code it.

• Bill-M

When I built my web site, I just opened my HTML Editor and dug right in. Bit by bit.

• EddieJ

Everyone is an individual. Titles can often mean very little. Any way that you can imagine it might be done is probably done that way *somewhere*.

Some places have a highly-structured methodology, but there can be various ways. And then someone reads an article and decides to change from one highly-structured methodology to another highly-structured methodology.

The VP at my previous company had a famous slide he'd show at meetings. We unfreeze, change, and then re-freeze. I thought it was ridiculous.

I use the Nike "Just Do It" methodology.