2009 Ford Focus SE 5 Speed Transmission questions???

I have a 2009 Ford Focus SE 5 spd that needs the clutch, flywheel, slave cyl...all that mess replaced...When shopping around for flywheels I have been given an option. 1) Replace the current Dual Mass Flywheel with the same or 2) Use a conversion kit and have a Solid Mass Flywheel installed. The solid flywheel option is around $600 less expensive. I now understand the purpose of a DMF is to decrease vibration from the engine to the transmission. My question is: By converting to a SMF will I be taking any chances in possibly damaging my transmission/gear box? This is my main concern.

It is like this- rotational mass robs the engine of power when it comes to acceleration. The dual mass flywheel helps over all drivability (harder to stall), but it saps seconds off acceleration times.

If I ever own a car with a dual mass flywheel- it will be the first modification I make (a single mass light weight flywheel will take its place).

• Dan

Use the solid flywheel kit. They are far better, more reliable, less noise and cheaper. It won't harm the transmission at all.

Its up to you. Millions of older cars used a solid fly wheel. A solid flywheel may give a sharper clutch biting point but providing the clutch is used properly there should be no problem. I fitted a solid flywheel along with a new clutch on my wife's car after its dual mass flywheel failed and over 3 years and 25000 miles there have been no further problems.

• arther

Can you cut your losses and get rid of the car? I'd have Focus on the avoid at all costs list. All of them are nothing but trouble one thing after another not the type of vehicle to maintain and get good value for money from they are a nasty car.

• CB

Yet I drove a 2000 Focus for 140k without a clutch replacement or rear brake work - and no real problems that were not covered under warranty - now drive a 2018 Focus 1.0 6 spd- disagree with your uneducated opinion.