Do you think Australia should close Uluru to climbers?

People are only paying huge sums of money to go see Uluru so they can climb it. Don't underestimate Australia's tourism industry, it brings valuable dollars to local people. 200 Aboriginals are directly employed in helping tourists climb the rock, you will make them unemployed if you close this facility.

I respect everyone's cultural beliefs, religions and traditions but if you can monitise a stupid red rock then do it. Having money will help you far more than having a spiritual landmark.

When you get cancer you will need a lot of money for treatment, a stupid rock will be useless. Charge people a decent sum of money to climb it if they are stupid enough to pay.

• Cecil

"I respect everyone's cultural beliefs, religions and traditions but if you can monitise a stupid red rock then do it." Ha, you have no respect1 The Rock is an amassing destination. It is amassing even without climbing it. Yes, show some respect. Close it to climbers.

I find it amusing that there are many many sacred sites that no aboriginals ever go to, how sacred could they be?

I have no doubt that if the white man didn't find Uluru interesting and went there to climber it, there wouldn't be an aboriginal for miles.

I'm not anti-aboriginals, I'm anti-bullshit.

yes ..cause its wearing the rock out..

No but should have limited numbers to do so. Chinese and Indians should be ban from there because they pollute.

No i think we should Mine it, it is only a giant lump of iron

• Fred

It would be a pity not to be able to climb and I climbed it as a young man before the aboriginals there started to tell tourists it is a sacred site and they consider it wrong to climb it. They say it is the equivalent to black people walking all over the graves in a white cemetery where the whites would be up in arms if aboriginals did that.

The view and the feeling of accomplishment are great when you reach the top and I feel stopping people from climbing it will affect tourist numbers to the area.

As long as at the same time the Aboriginals loose their centrelink payments then yes . See what they think then

Yes we should have more respect for this international landmark.

As long as they are not making a mess of it. Everyone and all their friends are climbing Mt. Everest these days and are making a total mess of that mountain. Everest should be closed - at least temporarily, Uluru, I can't say.

Actually, I thought they had already done that a decade or two ago. I remember reading about it, so I'm confused and don't really care one way or the other.