Anonymous
Anonymous asked in TravelUnited KingdomOther - United Kingdom · 5 months ago

why do people in northern England always use the word “love”?

They always say “Are you alright love?” Or “y’ alright love?” I don’t get it?

I’m from the South East by the way!

Update:

This Yorkshire accent just interest me

10 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    5 months ago
    Best answer

They learn and copy it off others, must be a cultural thing. They said the same all the time in Australia too back in the day and it's still used there but not as prolific these days as older generations die out.

• John P
      Lv 7
      5 months agoReport

In the west of England it is often: "My lover".

• 4 months ago

It is local vernacular. !!!!

• 4 months ago

It's a term of endearment. I don't know if every language has them, but I'd be surprised if they did not.

As well as "pet" (usually female) and "mate" (usually male) there are plenty of other words used in different parts of the country.

In other countries, think of "Schatz" (German) "Gordo" (Central/South America).

French has the best ones. "Ma petite chou" (my little cabbage), "Doudou" (safety blanket) and"Puce" (flea) to start with.

• Lili
    Lv 7
    4 months ago

It's just a general way to refer to someone when you're being friendly. It doesn't really mean anything.

In the US, "honey" and "dear" often serve the same purpose.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 5 months ago

Power................

• Anonymous
    5 months ago

We in Australia Use "Mate" as in Gday mate

• RR
    Lv 7
    5 months ago

I've heard people say it all over UK. There are alternatives, such as Mate, Guv, Chum, Ducks, etc.

• snafu
    Lv 7
    5 months ago

I live in the South East, I hear it regularly. It’s not just a northern thing.

• Clive
    Lv 7
    5 months ago

Why not? It's just something people do and it's meant to be friendly. And it's not always the same word - in the north east it's often "pet" and in my Dad's home town in Derbyshire it's "duck".

• Anonymous
    5 months ago

I do hear "love" here, but "pet" and "flower" are more common round my way.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.