Anonymous
Anonymous asked in TravelUnited KingdomOther - United Kingdom · 5 months ago

why do people in northern England always use the word “love”?

They always say “Are you alright love?” Or “y’ alright love?” I don’t get it?

I’m from the South East by the way!

This Yorkshire accent just interest me

They learn and copy it off others, must be a cultural thing. They said the same all the time in Australia too back in the day and it's still used there but not as prolific these days as older generations die out.

• John P

In the west of England it is often: "My lover".

It is local vernacular. !!!!

It's a term of endearment. I don't know if every language has them, but I'd be surprised if they did not.

As well as "pet" (usually female) and "mate" (usually male) there are plenty of other words used in different parts of the country.

In other countries, think of "Schatz" (German) "Gordo" (Central/South America).

French has the best ones. "Ma petite chou" (my little cabbage), "Doudou" (safety blanket) and"Puce" (flea) to start with.

• Lili

It's just a general way to refer to someone when you're being friendly. It doesn't really mean anything.

In the US, "honey" and "dear" often serve the same purpose.

Power................

We in Australia Use "Mate" as in Gday mate

• RR

I've heard people say it all over UK. There are alternatives, such as Mate, Guv, Chum, Ducks, etc.

• snafu

I live in the South East, I hear it regularly. It’s not just a northern thing.

• Clive

Why not? It's just something people do and it's meant to be friendly. And it's not always the same word - in the north east it's often "pet" and in my Dad's home town in Derbyshire it's "duck".

I do hear "love" here, but "pet" and "flower" are more common round my way.