I replaced my serpentine belt, but recently it sqeeks again, just a few sqeeks and only when i start the engine. Thoughts?

11 Answers

Relevance
  • 7 months ago

You might've wanted to replace the tensioner when you replaced the belt (if you didn't).

• 7 months ago

See this post for how to diagnose a belt noise

http://ricksfreeautorepairadvice.com/fix-serpentin...

• 7 months ago

Try tightening it first if still doing it a new tensioner may be needed

• JetDoc
    Lv 7
    7 months ago

And WHY do you think the BELT is responsible for the noise? Maybe you should check the accessories and pulleys that are driven by the belt.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 7 months ago

Did you spin all the pulleys to see if any felt dry or gritty?

Does the belt have a spring loaded tensioner or did you have to adjust the tension?

Source(s): Mitsubishi Master Tech
  • Anonymous
    7 months ago

Friend by the time you have to replace your serpentine belt the tensioner has worn out the tensioner usually only cost about $35 and there's only two or three bolt at the most to replace the tensioner if you replaced your serpentine belt and didn't replace the tensioner the belt that you put in will just wear out and slip. Replace the tensioner it's fairly easy.

• Gabe
    Lv 6
    7 months ago

Sounds like the issue is that you have squeaking serpentine belt.

• 7 months ago

likely a pulley...........

• 7 months ago

If the new belt is making noise and you're sure you or whoever installed it installed it correctly, it's possible the old belt wasn't the cause of the noise but rather a symptom of another part that needs attention in the system. I'd suggest pulling the new belt off and checking the condition of all the pulleys at this point. Not just the accessory pulleys but also the tensioner and idler pulleys as well. One of them may be dragging and causing the belt to skip across (making noise) rather than rolling across smoothly. Good luck.

• Joe
    Lv 7
    7 months ago

Check the tension.

Some squeaking on startup, that goes away quickly, suggests that it might be slightly loose.

(But it could also indicate that there's something wrong with a belt-driven accessory, which is putting extra drag on the belt. Why did you replace it in the first place?)

• cupa_coffee7 months agoReport

I replaced it because the old belt was chirping a lot ... i think it was the original belt, 10+ years.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.