Do I need to add more brake fluid to my car?

the other day I was driving and had to brake hard, I noticed that after the hard brake my brake pedal went down to the floor with ease. Now it goes all the way to the floor and does not brake the car. Do I just need to add more brake fluid?

I took it into a professional, there were multiple things that needed fixed on the brakes.

Please go to a professional

Nope. Not that simple.

Something blew. A wheel cylinder most likely. So have car towed to a repair garage and tell them what happened. They will know how to check it out and do the repair. You can ask for an estimate and they can give you a ballpark figure as each wheel cylinder replacement takes "X" amount of time plus the brakes need to be bled to get the air out which takes more time. They can probably give you a rough time as to how long it will take to do it all, otherwise you got to tow the car home or to another garage(that might be cheaper) but there is no guarantee on that. If you are near Wally's they can do the work too and probably your cheapest option.

. I know, it could not have come at a worse time, but it did. That happens to all of us. So gather your nickels together. It won't be cheap.

• zipper

No, you blew a seal or popped something. It needs to be checked out by a good mechanic.

• don r

Though it's rare, a brake line could have burst. That would cause loss of brake fluid, but refilling the reservoir will not fix the problem . The fluid will continue to drain out every time the pedal is pressed. The car needs looking at by someone who can recognize such a problem. It should be obvious.

• Fred

Check your brake fluid reservoir and likely it will be empty. Maybe you just needed to top it up but maybe if you braked very hard you blew a brake hose or have blown out the seals on a brake cylinder. My guess is something has gone wrong on the brake system and you need to take the car to a mechanic and get them repaired. You can fill the brake fluid reservoir again and see if the level stays up when you pump the brakes or if it again loses the fluid and look under the car for any sig.n of the fluid leaking onto the ground.

Once the oil reservoir has been empty generally air has got into the brake lines and they will feel spongy and will not work as well as they should. If it has you will need a mechanic to bleed the air out. I would have a mechanic check over the brakes as likely there is a fault there.

Step 1 would be to check the master cylinder or brake fluid reservoir - if it is below the 'low' level then add fluid.

If it got too low, it may have sucked air into the lines - and it will be necessary to bleed the brakes.

What you are describing sound more like you've experienced brake failure though - and you should probably have the car towed to a shop for them to look at. Make sure to get a quote, and check with some other shops so you don't overpay.

• Dave

Could be lots of things, old brake fluid with water in the line, leaking master cylinder or leaking brake line. Air in the line from not having enough fluid. If you don't know anything about fixing them at least check the master cylinder to see if it is full. Owners manual will tell you how to do that. Don't drive it until you know the brakes will stop you. If not sure then have it towed to a brake repair shop.

You need to immediately check what has happened you may have had a brake line blow out you may have had a master cylinder blow out in any case you now have no brakes and you need to identify the problem and fix it.

How should we know? We can't look to see if the master cylinder reservoir is dry!

If it's dry fill it and then pump the brake pedal a dozen times. Then look under the vehicle for brake fluid dripping.

You likely blew a rusty brake line and need to replace it.

Source(s): Mitsubishi Master Tech

If the pedal went all the way to the floor you may trap air by adding that much fluid. Go ahead and add it but if the pedal still goes to the floor you have air in the system and it needs bleeding.