Why do theists always expect atheists to try to prove them wrong when the burden of proof is on them?

No, Einstein, the burden of proof is not on us. It's on you. We offer the evidence of the spiritual experiences of millions with God every year as evidence. You have neither logic nor evidence to shore up your pretense that there is no God.

• Of course the burden of proof is on you... if you want to ram your fairy tales down our throats, it must have at least one fact to support it.

The burden of proof is on whoever makes a CLAIM. A claim is an attempt to require someone else either to adopt what one asserts, or to act in accordance with it.

Simply stating a belief is not a claim.

Calling someone stupid or deluded or foolish for holding a belief, however, is an indirect way of imposing a claim.

In each instance, therefore, it is important to review the language used by the other party, to see whether they have effectively made a claim and incurred the burden of proof. That's not always the theist, by any means.

• Jake

A person can battle atheism and other sins using the rosary and fasting.

God proves God.

But obviously those who do not want Him refuse.

Don't fool yourself.

As a creation scientist, scriptural marine biologist and Sociologist I can assure you that I invite debate from all intelligent sources. I have asked Professor Dawkins to debate me about the age of the flat Earth and for him to prove that we were not surrounded by the solid firmament which proves that no person has gone into space but continually avoids me.

• Wundt

Because they don't have any actual evidence to support their claims. So they resort to fallacy, rhetoric, and ad hominem attacks. Consider, if you have evidence (real evidence... not the anecdotal cr*p they try to pass off as evidence) then you would provide that evidence.

The fundies HAVE no proof of anything. All they know how to do is copy scripture from a fiction book that has already been thoroughly disproven.

The burden of proof is on the person making a claim. And negatives are proven all of the time; so it is pseudological to say "you cannot prove a negative" And even if that were true, you shouldn't be making the claim then. So, it you're going to boldly claim "no God exists," then you have to prove it with perhaps a proof of impossibility argument or proof of exhaustion.

• American Catholic

@FL: Actually, I don't think you've ever heard me make that claim. I can still just simply believe without making the claim, much like some atheists say, "I simply disbelieve."

• Jea

Their whole religion revolves around a scapegoat. They can't possibly meet their burden of proof, so they dishonestly shift the goal post, and claim we have to prove them wrong.

But they know that they are the ones who are supposed to back their claims, but they also know that to be impossible as the claims themselves.

Because they have no proof and know they do not so they try to play games with the burden of proof. That's all they really can do. They have no ground to stand on. I know they are playing games because when it comes to anything else besides their god they understand perfectly where the burden of proof lies. If they somehow could shift the burden of proof their Bible puts it right back on them by what they are supposed to be able to do through a mustard seed of faith but cannot. They keep brushing it off like it's not important or somehow does not apply to them when it does if they are really Christian. Its not hard to understand if you say something is there people are going to expect to see it because you said it was there.