Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsFamily · 5 months ago

My mother wont let me get married because they think I can't clean good enough?

I have a strange problem. My mother has an obsession with cleaning, kind of like OCD. I want to be able to leave home and get married when I'm 20 but my mother's only excuse is that im not a good enough cleaner. Now I wouldn't say I'm as clean as her but i most certainly keep things clean and tidy. I believe she has a fear of me growing up and leaving home. I am working full time and plan to move out soon. But whenever I talk about it she is get angry and say that I'm not good enough to leave her.

You move out at 18 and she can't stop you. Likewise "they" can't keep you from marrying.

I'm confused - your mother is "they"?

When you're 20 she can't stop you from leaving the home. Of course it would be suicidal to get married that young. But you can move out and spend five years or so on your own waiting until you're actually mature enough to make a marriage work.

Just leave when you turn 18, I am not a "good cleaner" either but that has not stopped me getting married and having a kid, who is perfectly healthy by the way.

she cant legally stop you once youre over 18 anyways

Won't let you move out or get married? Where do you live? In the US, she can't stop you.

Your mother is very controlling; people with OCD are extremely anxious and her anxiety may be driving her refusal to let you leave and get married. Why not just ignore her and do what you want?

• holo5 months agoReport

Unfortunately she has always got her way with me. Whenever I try to do something about it she refuses and I just listen. I think I just respect her oppion even if I dont like it. When the time comes I guess all I can do is ingore her even if she feels hurt. I just want her to be happy